Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Ford Ranger Feedback

I am looking to buy a new 2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2-wheel with a 3.0 liter V-6, and a 5 speed manual tranny. I was wondering if anyone has a truck like this that they could tell me how it was with power and durability, and what they think about the truck.

Now for my towing questions. I have a 16 foot double axle trailer that i carry two John Deere ZTR mowers om and some other basic mowing equipment(3 weed whackers, a blower, and a few other things) that i pull daily. is this truck big enough to handle this kind of work load daily? I have about 20 lawns that I cut currently but I am starting to expand rapidly

Also I have a 1986 Ford 1510 2-wheel drive diesel tractor with a 5' bushog that i have to pull occasionaly, no more than twice a month, not more than 10 miles on level road. will it be able to get the tractor moving and more importantly will it be able to stop it. I currently have a 1990 F-150 2 wheel drive with a 300 hp Inline-6 mated to a five speed manual with overdrive.

I am the second owner of the vehicle, the first owner was in lawn care also, and I didnt find out till after I bought it how little maintenance the truck had seen. I love the truck, and I plan to put a new motor in it and rebuilding the transmision, but I need to update to a newer more powerful truck pretty soon. Also, if this affects your opinion, If I do get the ranger, I will only have it for about 1 year. the 2'nd month of 2006 I am going to purchase a F-250 4-wheel drive with a Power stroke. I guess if i needed to I could just keep the ranger for a run about truck. Will it hold out for a year according to my needs? thanks in advance for any feed back.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

yes i think you will be fine. i have a 2004 ranger and i pull alot of things i should'nt. the ranger is a good stout truck.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Ranger pickup

NO WAY! to pull a 16' trailer you should think FULL SIZE! The 3.0 is a week engine for a truck, the 4.0 would be the only choice for a Ranger. I've only got a 5x10 trailer and it's somtimes a load on my 4.0 your pulling to much weight for a small truck! Trailer brakes a must! think bigger (F-150 at least) you'll be glad you did.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too use a ranger. I pull a 6x12 enclosed with it. Juststarted doing that...have always used a 6x12 open in the past.

The truck does fine....BUT....you got to plan ahead when driving and RESPECT the truck....in other words, pay atention to what you are asking it to do and do not abuse it.

I too plan to upgrade to a fullsize truck soon but for now this is what I have. Does pretty good though.

I had a 1992 ranger before this and got rid of it in 2002 with over 150,000 miles of WORK on it. I was a stought truck and performed really well till the head gasket blew.

I think people underestimate these trucks because they develop "toy fever"..HAHAHA
Old 03-25-2005, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClippersLC
I am looking to buy a new 2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2-wheel with a 3.0 liter V-6, and a 5 speed manual tranny. I was wondering if anyone has a truck like this that they could tell me how it was with power and durability, and what they think about the truck.

Now for my towing questions. I have a 16 foot double axle trailer that i carry two John Deere ZTR mowers om and some other basic mowing equipment(3 weed whackers, a blower, and a few other things) that i pull daily. is this truck big enough to handle this kind of work load daily? I have about 20 lawns that I cut currently but I am starting to expand rapidly

Also I have a 1986 Ford 1510 2-wheel drive diesel tractor with a 5' bushog that i have to pull occasionaly, no more than twice a month, not more than 10 miles on level road. will it be able to get the tractor moving and more importantly will it be able to stop it. I currently have a 1990 F-150 2 wheel drive with a 300 hp Inline-6 mated to a five speed manual with overdrive.

I am the second owner of the vehicle, the first owner was in lawn care also, and I didnt find out till after I bought it how little maintenance the truck had seen. I love the truck, and I plan to put a new motor in it and rebuilding the transmision, but I need to update to a newer more powerful truck pretty soon. Also, if this affects your opinion, If I do get the ranger, I will only have it for about 1 year. the 2'nd month of 2006 I am going to purchase a F-250 4-wheel drive with a Power stroke. I guess if i needed to I could just keep the ranger for a run about truck. Will it hold out for a year according to my needs? thanks in advance for any feed back.
Check you owners manual...I know my 2002 x-cab has a towing capacity of about 4000 lbs. I tow about 2100 lbs with it regularly.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

JMHO, if you take a little truck like that and work it like it's a big one every day, you will kill it long before its time. Big or small , a new truck is a big investment, invest in a truck that will handle your workload, like something full size.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You have got to be kidding.

1) Send me $5,000, tuition for good advise.

2) Buy 1995 +/- Chevy/GMC 2500 or bigger for $5000.

3) Deposit surplus $10,000 (Rager = $20,000, minus $5,000 for Chevy truck and $5,000 paid to me) into real estate or other good investment.

4) Take all your friends out to dinner to celebrate your wise decision, as your $10,000 investment will ripen over time and reward you, plus you will have a safe and effective tow vehicle so you don't die in twisted metal Ranger pretzel that couldn't control a trailer.

But, if you really love the smell of burning clutch, and shaky steering from brakes that have been warped from overheat, and the occasional helicopter ride to the ER, get the Ranger.

Or, if you must buy Ford, advance the purchase of the Powerstoke from the 2nd month of 2006 to the 4rth month of 2005.

Last edited by Albemarle Lawn; 03-26-2005 at 02:57 PM.