Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2005, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Sod pallet life

Im working on a 3600 sq.ft. backyard, I got 4 pallets of empire zoysia, saturday mornng but it poured for 10 hours straight that same day, Im wondering how long will the semi-dormant sod be good on the pallet, or should I get my men to lay it anyways and then come back and roll the yard a couple of times, any suggestions,thanks in advance..
Old 03-27-2005, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When it is a cool as it is now it will be okay for several days, especially if the sod is dormant. Wet it down to keep the top from drying out and if you have a reflective tarp cover it up.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Zoysia is already out of its dormant stage.It's already greening up.If nothing else,unload the sod so that all pieces can take advantage of the rain.Have the customer water it and keep it moist if the rain has stopped.On the pallet,only the top few layers will actually receive the moisture.Best to be safe than sorry,especially with the price of zoysia being what it is.Just can't tell what the weather will bring this week.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice, yea the weather lady said "hit and miss showers" not pouring rain for a solid day, but what can you do...It has stopped raining, I guess we will work on it tommorow, but it'll still be a muddy mess, it would be alright to roll it a few day later right, hopefully by then the sod wont sink 8 inches when you step on it!! Thanks again and other info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Check the middle of the pallet to be sure it hasn't started to heat(compost)
Old 03-27-2005, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I happened to be in the area and checked the middle, and it is a little warm, so hopefully it'll last one or 2 more days. Do yall think since we've been laying it on water soaked soil it will just rot or not?? Thanks again everyone, happy cutting..
Old 03-28-2005, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Member

All the nitrogen in the green grass is causing it to decompose faster. You need to spread it out. Even if you don't lay it yet just unrolling the sod and laying it out will make it last longer.