Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2005, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

removing clothes line poles!

i don't know if this is even the right place to post this but i want to tell somebody.
i am renovating an established landscape, and building a few garden features (benches, arbors, raised bed etc.).
the client asked me to remove a clothes line, one side had been broken off by "somebody" leaving a jagged 4" rusty punji stick in the yard. this monstrosity was built from 6" steel sewer and drain pipe. i told her i had no idea how long it might take and i would have to bill by the hour (i hate doing hourly). this thing is planted in black gumbo, secured by an 18" diameter, 36" deep poured concrete based (i would have never guessed).
any way the client popped by saw we had removed the sod and carefully laid it aside, and the size of our pit. she then showed me 5 other properties she owns around town, all upscale homes, i didn't have a clue she was wealthy and know wants me to renovated and maintain them, plus she wants me to look at her ranch just out of town.
i am absolutley dumbfounded, however my son who is my partner kept going "ka-ching, ka-ching" all the way home.
the original project was a small rent house with a jungle in the back, lots of poison ivy, and was just supposed to be cleaning up and building a privacy fence.
oh it took 5 hours to remove the first one of those monsters.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sawzaw

A sawzaw would work with a high quailty blade, not a steel blade, they have some made to cut cast iron, or cut it with a torch.....check the yellow pages for moblie welders, tell them to give you an estimate, sometimes they discount the cost if they can keep the pipe.....worked for me.////Dig around it and cut below the ground...Hope this helps..
Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

the concrete is flush with the ground and the customer want the concrete removed. i did consider taking a sledge hammer to it to get it broken off 18" or so below the surface, but just decide to take it all out she's paying for it.
i think the other will be easier, since the pole is still attached i think it will give us something to tie onto and jack it out without so much digging.
where in texas are you? i'm too lazy to search, i thought i saw a truck with your logo in college station the other day. i also went to high school with somebody with your name in houston. just curious we're halfway between college station and huntsville but most of my business is navasota.
thanks for the input i'm off to work.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have pulled some monster post out with a farm jack. I would recommend busting the concrete from around the pole, then digging the concrete out after the pole is gone. Have fun