Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jazzed up my site - Time for 2nd look?

Well, I messed around with a page my webmaster put on my site for me long enough in notepad, that I finally started to figure our a tad bit of code. So, after several months, I tried my hand at DreamWeaver that my son handed down and it looks like I may be able to handle my edits myself now.

I feel a bit like a kid on training wheels - lot's of room to learn.

If you get a moment, check out my pages and tell me what you think. It's not graphically designed, but it's quite a bit different than it was.

I know it displays right with firefox and Netscape 5. or 6.

If anything is odd - sorry about that.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 03-31-2005, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

its clean and simple, awesome.

the only problem is it is too long. most people can only handle about "3/4 page" of reading. right now when i view your site i see text from the top of my browser to the bottom, followed by another 2 pages of reading. i just scrolled over it and read the captions by the pictures. its just too much to sink in at once.

i'd suggest tryin to condense it a little. you have a lot of menu context on the left side too, make levels like 'portfolio' 'services' x y and z. then under those topics have a couple of links to the subtopics. create layers, if the person is interested in it they will click through a link or two.

Just my $.02
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi mdvaden,

I enjoy your site updates. You always have such a great wealth of information on them.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

time for a 2nd look?

Works on Macintosh (Safari). I like it. If it were mine, I'd make a point of including Latin names for those folks who might want further information. The pix are nicely done and I'd (personally) rather scroll down a lo-oong page that see a few pix and have to click to the next page. You might want to consider a page of thumbnails - have the option of viewing the page(s) as thumbnails, as a full view, or as a list (names only, no pix). That way, the person viewing chooses their preferred viewing mode.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks.

Yes, I can see some modifications coming along some time in the year or next winter.

At least for now, I kept the "long" parts down low if someone wants to read and the essentials for getting work up high. Unless it's an advice page.

I may look into those menus where mouse-over-button slides out a secondary menu. That's about the only way I could break the pages up smaller without the menu actually growing longer.

My next adventure is probably a new image for the top border - but I'm in no hurry.

The real "joy-joy" part is that I don't need to pay a webmaster anymore considering how often I like to plug info into the site. I'm glad I figured out the basics. I can't say it was a piece of cake, but it seems not much harder than getting the feel for MS Word's bells and whistles.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890