Register free!

Old 03-28-2005, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, what would you say are the benefits of using stamped concrete rather than pavers?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Mbella,
I agree with you on all your points. Like I said if you can sell it in your area,, that's great. But here,,, it just doesn't sell.

That is one done fall with stamped concrete. Once that colored release is on,, there is no room for error. One dropped stamped will scar the job for as long as it is there.
Look at this way, at the money you get for stamping,, you could actually screw it up,,, rip it out,, redo it,,, and still make a profit
Old 03-28-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, I understand where you're coming from. I'm just suprised. I'm suprised that for virtually the same price, consumers in your area would choose an inferrior application. I've gone up against stamped concrete when selling paver jobs and I never have a problem explaining the advantages of pavers.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

neither have i mike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, by the way, the quality of flagstone sucks here as well.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

yup the flagstone here in northern indiana is great because nm is soo close if you want good quality stone you just have to pay the price aggregate industries will get it for you they offered me dg at 65 a ton thats with their 45 a ton shipping
Old 03-28-2005, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJD
NorthMichigan,
Flagstone is by far,, the nicest looking material used. I still try and push flagstone on people. How is the quality of your flagstone there? Our area seems to get the bottom of the barrel anymore. Alot of metals in it. No matter how much sealer you put on it, it still shows rust in a year

Like I said,, everything seems to revolve around having a good sealer on. Just might have to apply once a year, or everyother year.
we have great flagstone here but very pricey from 250 to 400 a ton. in dozens of colors and sizes.
there are many landscapers doing dry-set flags on crushed limestone base.many more masons doing mortar on concrete. i do both.what is your speciality?
mj
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbella
DJD, by the way, the quality of flagstone sucks here as well.
i've used penn. bluestone and loved it.
mj
Old 04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Before last year, I would have agreed. I saw a marked decrease in flagstone quality last year. I bought from five different vendors and the lack of quality was consistent.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It customer preference- Stamp vs Pavers. and in Mich Stamp is a bit less than pavers- due to time to prep and install. We do both, i like pouring because the job gets done faster. pavers are time consuming (cuts steps etc)
As for quality- i agree pavers are better -especially in Mich with frz/thw cycle
however its what you can sell the client. Now days. there are many different patterns for stamping, (and We use added color to the concrete (no release) much easier and cleaner to work with.) Beware - you need talent to do this,,, not everyone who can lay pavers can finish and stamp concrete. It takes experience and skill. If done right you can have a hella finished product.
I still prefer to start the sales pitch with pavers (due to $/sq), and it holds up longer with frost(freeze thaw).

It all depends on what the customer wants.. but i am glad to offer both,