Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does this sound like a fair bid?

I was contacted by a homeowner to look at his yard. Man I got there and it was terrible. First it is 9000 sq ft. I was going to run my harley rake over it, level it out and get up alot of the rocks. Then Im going to bring in mushroom soil and spread it around then seed it and lightly roll it. I bid it at 800.00 how does this sound to low or to high?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, when I'm thinking about price I always consider what my renovation / seeding job would be compared to sod. [ always thinking my job will be far much better - the end results]...Just so the customer knows I'm fair I like to itemize my proposal.....A] De-rocking $450.00, ...B]compost [ materials only]$300.00....C] seed-8lbsp.1000 sqft- 80lbs X $3.25, D] starter fertilizer $60.00...E] labour to install [ items B,C,D,E]$650.00...At least this works for me and the client gets to have a better understanding of all the costs involved, I guess you'll have to decide where you are in the price ladder are there were several varibles......."Good Luck" & "Happy Spring"- Saxon
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well heres the method to my madness. This is a new develoment and the builder is doing the worst job I have ever seen on yards. So I bid this one low so I can get my foot in the development and once the yard comes in great I hope I will get more yards. Sound like a good plan?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
Hi, when I'm thinking about price I always consider what my renovation / seeding job would be compared to sod. [ always thinking my job will be far much better - the end results]...Just so the customer knows I'm fair I like to itemize my proposal.....A] De-rocking $450.00, ...B]compost [ materials only]$300.00....C] seed-8lbsp.1000 sqft- 80lbs X $3.25, D] starter fertilizer $60.00...E] labour to install [ items B,C,D,E]$650.00...At least this works for me and the client gets to have a better understanding of all the costs involved, I guess you'll have to decide where you are in the price ladder are there were several varibles......."Good Luck" & "Happy Spring"- Saxon
I think sod lawns are much better in the long run ("the end result ") than seeded lawns,

I don't see how you can compare labor on prep and seed and labor on install sod.
The prep is the same for both ,after care more for seed andless for sod, the labor for installation of sod goes way higher than seeding.At least in my neck of the woods.