Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-09-2005, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fescue vs. Orchardgrass: Which Will Win?

I have a new customer who got a tree removed last year. The guy who did the tree work did a great job of it, but scattered some seed that had orchardgrass in with the fescue seed.

If I aerate and seed this fall, will the fescue overwhelm the orchardgrass over time or do I have to spot-kill the orchardgrass?

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump, can someone help me with this?

Old 04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's really interesting about this thread is that a thread that is a day older about buying stuff at Home Depot got far more responses (make that "more than zero responses"), as did a thread posted the same day about driving a mile on a ZTR. This is quite an eye-opener about the definition of professionalism here at Lawnsite.

All things considered, anyone who goes off about "scrubs" can expect a real nasty broadside from me, assuming I bother to respond at all. If you all could stop touching yourselves in the pants about equipment and scrubs for five minutes, maybe you'd make more money. What a bunch of lunatic-fringe crackpots and wannabes.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dude, take a chill pill.

Your post has been up for less than a day.

Give it some time.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES

Last edited by Green Pastures; 04-09-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
What's really interesting about this thread is that a thread that is a day older about buying stuff at Home Depot got far more responses (make that "more than zero responses"), as did a thread posted the same day about driving a mile on a ZTR. This is quite an eye-opener about the definition of professionalism here at Lawnsite.

All things considered, anyone who goes off about "scrubs" can expect a real nasty broadside from me, assuming I bother to respond at all. If you all could stop touching yourselves in the pants about equipment and scrubs for five minutes, maybe you'd make more money. What a bunch of lunatic-fringe crackpots and wannabes.

That's the way to get help.
BobbyG Where are ye.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 04-09-2005, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting question. I have been wondering about that myself - what happens if you just leave it - will a healthy and regularly overseeded fescue lawn outcompete orchard grass? Another interesting question - why does fescue seed so often have orchard grass seed in it?

Anyway - my suggestion: pull it. For some reason most LCOs would never in a million years pull a weed and neither would anyone else - but this is often the best and easiest and cheapest solution to a weed problem. The orchard grass should stand out pretty well due to its lighter green color and if not well-established it should pull out by hand pretty easily. If it doesn't just pull right up, a dandilion fork should do it. If you leave it, it will spread (by seed). If there's just a little bit of it (like less than a few hundred plants) then pulling it now should only take a few minutes and may prevent the problem from getting out of hand. It would probably take longer to spot spray it than to pull it.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmonkey
Anyway - my suggestion: pull it. For some reason most LCOs would never in a million years pull a weed and neither would anyone else - but this is often the best and easiest and cheapest solution to a weed problem. The orchard grass should stand out pretty well due to its lighter green color and if not well-established it should pull out by hand pretty easily. If it doesn't just pull right up, a dandilion fork should do it. If you leave it, it will spread (by seed). If there's just a little bit of it (like less than a few hundred plants) then pulling it now should only take a few minutes and may prevent the problem from getting out of hand. It would probably take longer to spot spray it than to pull it.
There's an awful lot to pull by hand and it's pretty well rooted. It'd take me at least half a day and I just don't have that kind of time, plus it'd be cheaper for the customer if I just hit it with glyphosate and reseeded.

You're right, the orchard grass is conspicuous: spectacularly so. I talked to them about aerating and seeding in late September, so I think I'll recommend spot-treating the orchardgrass early in September.