Register free!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all. You guys are a big help as always.

Good luck this year.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious as to the reasoning as to why it is better to aerate cool season lawns in the fall and warm season in the spring. Now I am not doubting anyone or trying to start a fight.
I do not have all the answers either but I was always under the impression that it is ok to aerate a lawn when it is healthy and actively growing in order to get the benefit from opening the soil. I can admit that the downside of a spring aeration can be a possible increase in the weed content in the lawn because of the amount of weeds germinating in the spring. Aside from that I always have thought that both spring and fall were ok.
Now I may be wrong and like I said I am not looking to call someone out here, I truthfully want to know a "why" or "why not".
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Old hippy from Ne

Sildoc...I did not mean that we should not aerate cool grass in the spring it is just that most of us are too busy..Aerating in the spring on cool season grasses is great for the grass if you have the time and people. I love to aerate a lawn when it is just coming out of a dormant winter and fert right behind the aeration with water..The grass just explodes and needs to be cut asap.

Also I like to get first time aeration customers in the spring because of the quick reaction of the grass to the aeration and fert. They really feel they got the moneys worth with the quick growth. At some time later I will convince them that the fall is really better, mostly because we have more time then to get them all done.

Old Hippy
Old 04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I can only give advise on cool season grass.

The benefit is in root growth. Fall in when the grass is putting most of it's energy in root production. Aeration helps with opening the soil up and stimulating root growth. Spring is the time when grass is producing leaves and food. The other problem with aeration is stress to the lawn. If you get a quick warming and the grass is stressed, it will take longer to recover.

Weed seeds can be a problem at anytime of the year. Following up with a weed inhibitor is always recommended when bringing up or disturbing the soil. Unless you are reseeding which is also recommended in the fall.

I also will not pass up the chance to aerate in the spring if the client wants it done. It has it benefits, but also it's potential problems if done in the spring.

Price however is market driven.