Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

update

I talked to the guy a couple of days later when he came for his paycheck. He apologized for leaving us in a lurch but that he just decided that the job was more physical than he thought it would be.
He is an old school chum of my daughters. He told me he worked in the business before but he didn't tell me that all he did was mow for another LCO. Kind of a lie don't you think?
No. It really had nothing to do with the cell phone. It had more to do with the combination of the employee padding his qualifications and my lack of diligence in checking his references. :blush:

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 04-13-2005, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrdandgardenhandyman
SNIP...random ***** about typical lazy american worker....SNIP

<groan> I hate working saturdays.
Maybe those Hispanic workers aren't such a bad idea after all.
Duh! Ya think?

Why do you think most LCOs employee mostly hispanic employees. 10 out of the 13 guys I employee are hispanic imigrants. Do you think that's my choice??? No! I could really care less. But I am fairly sure my customers would rather see a nice, clean-cut, fit, friendly, white year old kid taking care of their property. That would probably be their first preference. So why don't I do that? It isn't because I haven't tried those kids out. I'd LOVE to have a whole crew of guys fitting that description. And I have before. But 95% of the time, they end up having "Issues." Either they are lazy, or they constantly want days off, or raises, or draws, or they get sick too much, or they gotta stay home with their sick daughter because the ex-girfriend dropped her off or they do drugs or whatever!!! Most all of the americans got "issues". And guess what? I still hire them sometimes. But I am gettng better at weeding them out these days. And even though I still hire them, they still almost never work out. Whereas the hispanics have ZERO issues, would work 7 days a week if I'd let them, and are loyal and happy as heck. It's a no-brainer.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 04-13-2005, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proenterprises
Does anyone include a policy about cell phones in employee handbooks? It seems that it should be stated. I would state that cell phones should be turned off and stowed either in the employees bag, not in their pocket. Lunchtime is okay, but otherwise, work, not talk.

yep

we do not allow them. we provide one phone per crew. we know exactly how much time they spend on our phones.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap