Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott
So your going to get at least 1/2 with no hassle? I say 100% up front. But I wouldnt bother with it, she seems to be price fishing already.
Do you get many jobs with it being all upfront ???
Old 04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did not even read your post.

NO, I would not work for her. The simple fact that you have to ask is enough for me.

I'm becoming VERY picky with who I will work for.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
Do you get many jobs with it being all upfront ???
Every one of my residentials is paid in advance. Commercial arent, but they are under contract. But i dont do much big landscaping, so its not big amounts for the most part just monthly maintenance, but i trust no one. And if they dont trust me, so be it, call someone else.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith
I agre with sildoc.....nothing wrong with one timer's provided they pay. Donald trumps Ex wife Ivana is on a limited income too.....If guess we all are on limited incomes...we are limited by the amount we want to work...

When I was whoring for TruGreen I did many one time installs with no chance of ever getting the maintenance contract.....Look at it as unbudgeted income...
Yup and I have told the retired scam artists that too. Nothing burns me more than a person with a new home and a new mercedes telling me they are on a fixed income. Sure Fixed in the sense that you have your IRA, 401K, pension (military and private) and it is not going to change based on how little you work.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

And you know what, its not that they are on fixed income that bothers me, its just how they like to use it as a tool to get you to work for nothing.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last night

I think we all need to stick to our prices. In the past I was willing to fudge a price here or there, which is still okay on bigger accounts. If you're doing the full work-up, you can make it up on Mulch/Hedging or something else.

I had 2 calls last night telling me that they want me, but the price is too high. Call back so we can talk.

I called the first guy who says I asked a bit much for cutting, and that I was higher than the "going rate" in the area. I informed him that I have 10 customers in the neighborhood, and that I was charging the going rate. he's gonna think about it.

Second call was a renewal customer who wanted to know why the $2 increase. Of course I blamed it on Gas, and increasing business costs. He asked if the price would drop when the gas goes down!! I told him that I'll re-evaluate the cost of doing business every year. He seemed satsified enough, and signed up.

The point I'm making is that I used to be afraid to turn down customers and stick to my guns. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the more confidence you can show. I've learned the hard way thorugh experience that confidence is what gives you leverage. If you're unwilling to budge, they'll probably take your offer. IF you show weakness, they have the bargaining power. My average lawn price is $3 higher this year, and I'm turning away some loser accounts that I had last year.

Keep to your prices so that WE can determine the "going rate", not the customer.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercare
The point I'm making is that I used to be afraid to turn down customers and stick to my guns. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the more confidence you can show. I've learned the hard way thorugh experience that confidence is what gives you leverage. If you're unwilling to budge, they'll probably take your offer. IF you show weakness, they have the bargaining power. My average lawn price is $3 higher this year, and I'm turning away some loser accounts that I had last year.

Keep to your prices so that WE can determine the "going rate", not the customer.
I am beginning to use this philosophy as well. Seems like when I give a price and tell the customer this is it, they may complain a bit, but if I hold strong they see things my way.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They may not see it your way especially on a new bid for business, but those are usually the type of people that aren't worth it at twice the price.

I charge at or above market rate. I land 30-40% of my bids and am very happy with that. It usually works as a great insulator against PITA ism. But I do have one or two that snuck in.

Confidence is definately the key.
Yes ma'am I said $95.
But the last guy did it for $55.
And as I recall you said you fired him because he rarely showed up and did a bad job when he did.
As always it is your decision, but for me the extra money would be worth it to have an insured professional coming EVERY week.
Then silence.

Like I said it works about 30-40% of the time (more like 70% if I get this far). But the price is the price.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Pakistani Doctor gripe about the price. it was his second year with me and the price went up 10 bucks a month. He was the first client in a particular neighbor hood on a corner lot near the entrance. I had bent over backwards over teh years, extra cut here and there for a special event and what not....So when he got the new contract and griped I gave him name and numbers of some of my freindly competitors.

Well the SOB calls them and tells the guys I'm doing it for 50 a month (making me look like a lowball scrub). one of the guys asked about it adn I explained the trials and tribulations of working for him. and they all pass....So he call s me back and still wants to haggle onprice and I stand my ground.....I explain that when I am in a hospoital I can't negotiate my price, and the same holds true here....

I kept him for two more years until I sold the biz....Fast pay, but a bit demanding....
Old 04-15-2005, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Green Patures it was just a question.