Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

KWelch,
You have just stumbled upon one of the most important rules of business. Location, location, location. The $2.34 station is probably on a very, very busy road. Convienence plays as much a part as price to consumers. Is the station easy to get in and out of? Is it "name" brand fuel? Are there plenty of pumps on a large parking lot? Everybody is in a hurry these days. They want to get their gas and be gone even if it means paying more for it.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Remsen1] Thirdly 90% of Americans don't buy gasoline every single day. I would guess that at least 50% of americans only buy gas once or twice per week. QUOTE]

I'm happy to know that I am tilting the scale the other way and making up for their shortfall. On any given day at least 3 of the trucks will stop for gas. (smile is for the gas man)
Old 04-14-2005, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately I have mineral rites in Louisiana and Arkansas, which means I get a bigger check when gas goes up. It is not a lot, but almost offsets the gas increase. If you invest a little in that area, you just dont care if gas goes up. I see how Bush feels!!! Well, on a much much much smaller scale, lol
Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
KWelch,
You have just stumbled upon one of the most important rules of business. Location, location, location. The $2.34 station is probably on a very, very busy road. Convienence plays as much a part as price to consumers. Is the station easy to get in and out of? Is it "name" brand fuel? Are there plenty of pumps on a large parking lot? Everybody is in a hurry these days. They want to get their gas and be gone even if it means paying more for it.

I agree with you in the fact that everyone is in a hurry now days and a nice clean friendly, well lit gas station at even a higher dollar does seem to make sense. However KWelch does have a really good idea. I can't stand to see the local c-store raise there prices and walmart here is still the lowest of any c-store in town. It really does make me wonder a little bit that the owners of these stores who live in this country don't really care about the consumers of this country.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch
What kills me is when I see 2 different gas stations....side by side or across from each other. One will have gas at say 2.10 and the other for 2.34. You would think everyone would be at the gas station that has it for 2.10 and the other gas station that has it for 2.34 would be empty. Well it's not the case....ever. They both are still busy as hell. I think this is one thing that needs to change. If everyone would get gas at the 2.10 station and leave the 2.34 station empty I think gas prices would come down to the lowest offering in that area. What do you guys think?
That funny saw something on A&E about gasoline. It's all the same, so why go to the higher station. not me. As long as the station doesn't have the roof falling off and the redneck there is not asking me if i married my sister. I will be at the cheapest one.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch
What kills me is when I see 2 different gas stations....side by side or across from each other. One will have gas at say 2.10 and the other for 2.34. You would think everyone would be at the gas station that has it for 2.10 and the other gas station that has it for 2.34 would be empty. Well it's not the case....ever. They both are still busy as hell. I think this is one thing that needs to change. If everyone would get gas at the 2.10 station and leave the 2.34 station empty I think gas prices would come down to the lowest offering in that area. What do you guys think?
This makes sense, but then the lower priced place will usually raise their price. Then everybody has to try to find the next lowest priced place.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually there is a thing floating around right now about boycotting Exxon/Mobil which is a major player. The idea is to stop buying from them, which causes them to crap their pants and lower their pricing in hopes of regaining the customers.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Envy,

Have you looked at the cummins diesel engine offered in the dodge. Its a six cyclinder. Also the diesel engine offered in walker lawn mowers is great. Mow for 2 days on a tank of diesel. I agree that Exxon/Mobil should be boycotted they are making a fortune off of gas prices.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
KWelch,
Yep!
Ever notice that its the gas stations that have the convinience stores are always a more expensive. Example-where I drive to school each day, there are 3 stations within the same block. 2 stations are smaller, probably only 8 pumps, no store, just a place to pay. Then, there is a larger station, 12 pumps, full store, lots of items inside, great coffee, etc. You can bet that this place is always more $$$. Why? Because they know that anyone who stops to pick up an item inside is more than likley to fill er up!