Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

To much work?

Isn't doing landscaping to much work? Having the help show up on time and getting the equipment ready having my new truck have grass everywhere in it, talking to customers all day getting skin cancer from being outside 10 hours of the is it just me or is it a pain.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, it is a pain.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like your the PITA

Don't you mow that long get over it ! Or go push a pen !!!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2005, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Todd give it six years you will know what I am talking about.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob's landscaping
Todd give it six years you will know what I am talking about.
I don't do much landscaping so . but dont you spend any time mowing ? And if you think that's tuff try running a paving company !!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

there is nothing i'd rather be doing
Old 04-16-2005, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing I'd rather be doing either, unless I won the lottery and didn't have to work at all. If you are not enjoying what you are doing, then you are in the wrong line of work.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqmustang
There is nothing I'd rather be doing either, unless I won the lottery and didn't have to work at all. If you are not enjoying what you are doing, then you are in the wrong line of work.
I would agree. I have had plenty of opportunity to have a easy life making good money from the other guy. I just cant bring myself to have to have a set schedule year round. Yes I have a schedule in the major mowing season, however I also am able to change it as I see fit. I get sunburns and some close calls with heat stroke every season. But looking back on what you have to go through to make a small change in corporate America, it is ridiculous. I like my job and will continue until I am making beer money.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
there is nothing i'd rather be doing
Same here for the most part.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I took a pay cut to start my own company I worked hard so I could work this hard I have no regrets. Are you a landscaper or a businessman or both? I happen to be a phenomenal landscaper and I love that part of my job its why I do what I do. But what keeps it interesting is the very thing you seem to complain about the problems you see. To me my really job is problem solver. I am down a truck what can I do to get by my guys quit what do I do next. The mower broke down how do I get back to cutting my guys are late how do I track them down I am waiting for 2 months for Mr. X to pay his bill how do I make payroll. You can sit at a desk for someone and never have anywhere near the problems we get everyday to solve. Its what makes this more then a monkeys job.

I am very good at logistics and love what I do but I have to tip my hat to my ex-boss his logistic skill is unreal he will run 3 planting crews simal for months with no crew chiefs just his workers and he does all the lay out and shopping for dirt mulch plants you name it. He sets one up cutting in the beds and drives to the next job and sets that crew up then goes to the 3rd and does the same. He then drives all day long bringing them what they need as they need it. It really is a site to see now he could have a regular job but nothings like the high he gets from doing 20-30k a week in planting jobs for about 3 months out of each year. I guess I love the challenge of running the business its nothing more then a game and how well you do depends on how well you play but unlike working for the man here you get to make some of the rules.