Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2005, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

can you reseed on areas with moss growing on it???

I have a customer that I am putting down new topsoil and reseeding her backyard. There is no grass on this area right now, and on the upper half of her backyard she has moss growing. She wants me to reseed that area as well. Will the seeds grow on the areas with moss?? Or do I tear up that area before reseeding as well? Retopsoil that area and then reseed? She was hesistant about tearing up the section with moss b/c it is green. They live in a wooded area and it is hard to get grass to grow, thats why she was kind of happy with the moss, we are just reseeding to see if we can get more grass to grow. By the way, as stated earlier, very little to no sunlight(when leaves come back) in the backyard. Any help would really be appreciated. I dont want to waste her money and seed on top of moss and know that it has no chance of growing. Thanks in advance.

RON
Old 04-18-2005, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would either remove tree limbs to get more light on the ground or I wouldn't seed at all. If it's green, in the shade that probably the best it will get. Even shade grass needs at least 4 hours of direct sunlight each day.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Appalachian, thanks for the response, just another question....maybe I overstated it a little bit, b/c there is a little of grass there so I guess they do get some sunlight back there. So if they do get some sunlight, is there any chance that shade mix seeds will grow if I just throw it on top of existing moss? Or should I take a rake and tear it up, then seed. I was hesistant in tearing up the moss b/c I dont want to get rid of it and have the seeds not come in at all. That would be worse than moss, at least moss is green. Thanks again.

RON
Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had similar in the past. Rake off the moss then seed. The seed has trouble getting going if it has to deal with moss.

Results for me have been mixed. The new grass looks good for a couple years, but the moss will creep back. Have to thin out the trees.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks TVOV, I figured thats what I would have to do, I was just hesitant of doing this b/c I would hate to get rid of something green, and not see it come back right away. Thanks again.

RON
Old 04-18-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tear out moss, cultivate the ground a little bit with a garden hoe, add composted cow manure to amend the soil, use high quality seed, add starter fert, and use a thin layer of straw. water frequently.

That is how I do it.