Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2001, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm new here.

I've been "lurcking" for about a week and finally registered last night. Been in the landscaping, lawncare, groundskeeping biz for over 15 years "more or less". I worked grounds for The University of Nebraska In Lincoln, worked landscape installation, mowing crew foreman for two different LCOs, I was even a scrub I guess -- homeowner toro 21 in the back of a Chevy Citation.

Started full-time solo in Sept. I know, not the time of year to be starting out , but I took over another company that had just started last spring and decided to get into the music biz instead. I bought the equipment and tool over 27 mowing accounts and about 20 "potential fert. accounts", for less than 1/2 the new cost of equipment, all of which is less than 1 year old.

Here's what I got---Lesco 36in 12hp gear drive WB w/jungle wheels and grass gobbler; Ariens pro 21in; Echo PB2100 blower; Echo CRM2100 trimmer w/edgit; Echo hedge trimmer; Lesco push fert. spreader w/remote side shield; A.M. Leonard push sprayer; Lesco backpack sprayer; 35 gal holding tank; and a 2-place trimmer trap. I carry it all on a 5 X 8 trailer from Menard's and pull it behind my 1977 GMC Sierra Classic 15 trailering special w/ pw, pl, air, tilt, cruise, and intermittent wipers . Ill try to post pic later.

I mow and trim weekly. I will offer fert. and weed control. I will trim bushes and low tree limbs (I don't climb). I will also do landscape maintenance-- mulching, weeding, edging, and planting.

Im' also starting a tree nusery on our acreage. We'll see if any make it through the winter.

Well thats me. Howdy from Nebraska.:blob4:
Old 11-19-2001, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, hello, and welcome to Lawnsite. I'm sure you'll find a great amount of information here, and don't be afraid to ask ANY questions. Believe me, we've seen and asked about all of them! The only bad question is the one that doesn't get asked. The only thing is with that though, is we DO encourage you to use the search feature before you ask. Many of times the question has already been asked, OR you may find another idea to incorporate into your question that you DO ask. It sounds like you definitely have a good start on your venture, and sure sounds like you've had some valuable experience.(priceless) Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope you find this site to be everything you could ask.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

judging from stated experience
you should be able to answer a lot of the questions,u will see here.welcome. later now awm
Old 11-19-2001, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome!!! Make sure to take advantage of the search fuction. There are soooooooooooooo many posts in the archives. The pesticide forum seems to be only but a fraction of the total. Its a shame. There is a lot of money to be made in that arena. Make sure you get the proper licences for that type of work. Don't take any risks. The fines can be in the thousands. Good luck in your future!
Old 11-20-2001, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Matthew, I do have my commercial app. licence, and am familiar with working around chemicals. I want to be legal and profesional in all aspects of my business. This industry needs more of that. I agree, the margins seem to be good for fert. and weed control.
Old 11-20-2001, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by The Groundskeeper
Matthew, I do have my commercial app. licence, and am familiar with working around chemicals. I want to be legal and profesional in all aspects of my business.
You have your certification? (required to spray for anyone else who IS licensed) or do you have your actual LICENCE to spray on your own,,,, because to do it as a business, you'll DEFinitely need the license. I can't see where there would be any problem obtaining this, as long as you have sprated for someone (a licensed applicator) for the last two years. Make sure you get your insurance involved and right on this.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome and congrats on becoming an instant LCO.
I am certain you will find lots of help here and lots of opinions too, make sure you screen them both. Hopefully your season has ended well and you can learn more about all aspects of the business during the winter.
Personally I wonder why the former owner of your business decided to go from mowing to music? Glad to see you on board and hope you got rid of that Chevy Citation too.
Old 11-20-2001, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site. It has been very informative for me as a new comer and I am sure it will help you as well. Everyone is willing to hel as much as they can. However, just make sure you read all posts to get a full well rounded view from all. Again Welcome!!!!:blob4: :blob3: :blob1:
Old 11-20-2001, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Runner,
I do have my licence. I got it while working for another company but I got the actual licence, -- took the class, passed the test and everything. Here in Nebraska I needed to be licensed myself to do apps. unsupervised even if working for a licensed applicator. It's a three year licence so I'm good for another year.

Mow ED,
Hey, don't knock that Citation. That car had well over 170,000 miles on it when I sold It (yes someone actually bought it ), and was still going strong-- Ok maybe not strong but it was still going. I even miss it sometimes. just a little bit
Old 11-21-2001, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi, and welcome to lawnsite.com
this site here answered many of my questions I had. i started in the LC business back in 2000. And still loving it.

1 Shindiawa T-260 trimmer
1 Toro push mower
1 Lawnboy push mower