Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2003, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

new guy in Florida

I've been with a family landscaping company in Maryland for the past 3 years.I pretty much know the in's and out's on how to deliver good service BUT I'm a little fearful on the business end of things.I'm moving to Florida(Palm Bay/Melbourne) in few weeks and starting my own company from scratch.Have my $15k worth of equipment so I'm ready to roll I'm basically going for contracted residential and possibly branch out into commercial once I have a good team behind me...Just looking for some helpful hints as far as advertising from nothing and any info that will help get me prepared for the stress of this **** lol...Feel free to rip me apart and try to convince me to back out,as long as there's helpful info I'm all for it!..thanks

Also how difficult is it going to be to get started NOW? Are people taking contracts,even on a bi-weekly cut basis?
Old 07-31-2003, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have only been doing this for a year and a half by myself. I usually offer monthly services. A lot of people in florida will figure out 42 visits per year. Say $25 a cut times 42 and divide by 12 for a monthly bill. I offer a monthly bill say 25 a week times 52. Then divide by 12 and I show up every week and at least blow off the sidewalks. I hope that you can handle the heat down here because it is hot and good luck to you.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't worry about it Florida is an excellent place to start your own landscape or lawn care service.
Just try to specialize in something and be versatile.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

How is business in the Vero Beach / Sebastian / Palm Bay areas? Any one lowballing prices? What is the avarage price for the run of the mill 80x120 lot for mow, trim, blow?
Old 08-04-2003, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Member

The avarage lot goes in palm bay for around $80, however many discount companies offer as low as $60 per month. Alot of companies in the area offer only 1 year contracts at around $80 month every month, but it scares off many potential cusotmers.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you do a search on Florida prices, you will get all kinds of ideas of what people charge. I am always surprised when someone writes that the charge $60 a month for a lawn service. Even $80 seems very low to me. When you consider gas prices, equipment costs, insurances, and the fact that other service industries get a lot more money for service rendered, I just can't believe you could make money with those prices. I work 4 days a week and charge a decent price and I make a decent living. If the yard takes 20 minutes to do, then why not charge $100 dollars and work less time or make more money in the same time you work now? Some lawn services down here work till 7pm 7 days a week because they charge to little for their services. My advice is to stick to a decent price, don't lowball because you get nervous that there won't be any more work, and be patient for GOOD customers. In a year and a half on my own, I have 35 customers who all pay in advance (wouldn't have it any other way) and they like good work and reliablity/dependability. Do what you say you will do any customers respect that.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey BBS,

Here is a link to a thread that discussed more service prices in Florida.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks bro
Old 08-05-2003, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey BBS
I am in Palm Bay also, Hope to see you around. Good luck.

Bob
6x12' open trailer
1997 Dodge Ram
Old 08-10-2003, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks

thanks for the feed back