Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-02-2004, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gopher-preneur book of the month, April '04

In efforts to inspire and promote thinking big, we would like to highlight a business book each month. If you have read this book, please share with us your reflection on it. If you haven't read it yet, it will surely inspire you.

Sam Walton : Made In America

From Amazon, Book Description:
It's a story about entrepreneur, and risk, and hard work, and knowing where you want to go and being willing to do what it takes to get there. And it's a story about believing in your idea even when maybe some other folks don't, and about sticking to your guns. Sam Walton. Meet a genuine American folk hero cut from the homespun cloth of America's heartland: Sam Walton, who turned a single dime store in a hardscrabble cotton town into Wal-Mart, the largest retailer in the world. The undisputed merchant king of the late twentieth century, Sam never lost the common touch. Here, finally, Sam Walton tells his extraordinary story in his won inimitable words. Genuinely modest, but always sure of his ambitious and achievements, Sam shares his thinking in a candid, straight-from-the-shoulder style. In a story rich with anecdotes and the "rules of the road" of both Main Street and Wall Street, Sam Walton chronicles the inspiration, heart, and optimism that propelled him to lasso the American Dream. "
Old 04-03-2004, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

A little off the subject, but my aunt was a mail carrier down in Arkansas years ago and got a chance to meet him a couple times. Said that he was a very friendly person. I personally think he would be ashamed of Walmart today. I have heard many that has read his book and they all highly recommend it. One of these days I would like to make time to read it.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci