Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Scags carppet, Exmarks clump. Choose your evil. The two decks are extreme oposites of each other. Both arguably the best in the industry.

I never cut below 3.5" here in the north east, mostly at 4". If the property is on a 7 day rotation maybe go to 5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do think it has to do with brand. ExMark's I've used in the past never left grass trails. But their prices got so high I switched brands. Now I have to occasionally blow off some lawns.

Ford F150 XL Truck
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
ExMark Phazer 34" laser 2006 mower
Big Dog C142 2011 mower
Wright Grass Gobbler
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 09-29-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeklandscaping View Post
I think I have a set of the bottom ones in that picture lying around- will have a look tomorrow. If so, then I'm going to give them a shot. mowerbrad, cool advice on the OCDC- I suspected it might be a lot of money for not-so-good-a-product. BTW, How good are G6 gators at handling leaves in the Fall compared to regular blades?
Gator makes different varieties of blades. All Gators have teeth but not all Gators are G5 or G6. The difference between the different Gators is the blades are designed for different jobs and applications. The G6 and G5 Gators are the same except for the thickness of the blade. The G6 is .250" think and the G5 is .208 thick. Some mowers can't handle the weight of the G6 so the G5 was developed as a lighter version. The G6 and G5 are high lift hardened steel blades that are 3" wide. The G6 and G5 have earned a reputation as a no nonsense blade that seems to cure a lot of discharge problems with all kinds of mowers. The G6 and G5 blades are intended for side discharge mowers and should not be mistaken for a mulching blade.

Some of the other Gator blades are the Mulcher 3-in-1 blade, the G3 and others.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said in another thread.
I tried the G6 blade on one of my 48" turf tracers and quickly took them off, they had a "funny" kinda cut in my thick fescue, and I could tell right away they wouldn't work for me.
back to the hi-lift.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to run stock blades for about 8.5 years straight then last fall when I got my first bagger system I picked up a set of gator g6 blades and I literally haven't taken them off my mower in almost a year! you might say they are dull by now, I would say you are correct. they literally are rounded like the tip of my thumb, and in normal conditions they cut everything up so well there are no clippings visible on the lawn, there a few lawns I double cut and I charge for it, or if only a few passes need double cutting i'll do it and not charge or blow those passes out with the back pack. but I don't leave clippings showing on my lawns, especially in the front yard. doesn't look good. Not the image I want to portray to people driving or walking by looking at my accounts.