Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

anybody els gonna chime in to help SP & others be more confident with there crack ests?

if you use pour pots (wheeled or not) you quickly get used to how far a pot will go. i find it very easy to count needed pots as i walk the lot. with a plus or minus of about 15%. takes about 10-15 min to empty one. one box fills 3 of my pots.

some coaters do superior work & have very hi bids. $2,000,000 digs on the lake hire them mostly. i think the thought is, if you can convince the customer that your products & workmanship are better than any others, you can charge more for the same job.

others want to stay working everyday so they might lower there bid to do so.

SP, your stuck in between with the rest of us, dont worry so much, only time in the saddle will help you now. the more lots you do, the more ways you see to fine tune your ests.

productivity & efficiency are generally a good place to start.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

back in the day...the shop would hire repair techs for $8.00 per hr. the shop repair rate was $50. p.hr. there best tech got about 40% of the shop rate (about $20 per billed hr).he was a flat rate tech (frt).
if the honda f/r manual said it should take one hr to rebuild that carb, thats what you charge your customer and pay your f/r techs. $50. chg & $20. too tech, no matter how long it actuly takes for him to do.
new guys would take 2 hr to do the job but since they are paid 2hrs @ $8.00 they dont get beat up.(he is 50% efficient).
the best tech could do it in 1/2 hr. so he gets one hour pay @ $20 per, thats $20. in 1/2 hr. he billed one hour shop time, so shop is very happy too.( he is 200% efficient on that job). he might work 40 hrs & get paid for 60 hrs. and to keep things in check, any come backs that were his fault, he fixed for free.

f/r tech would punch in on one of the 4 top slots on time card (in out). get his first job from mgr & punch in on one of many lower slots. after he fixed the unit he would punch out on a lower slot. get a new job from mgr & punch in,ect.

this made it very easy for us to check......efficiency from time punched in on the job, compaired to f/r book time......and productivity by time in between jobs. f/r techs are far more productive than hourly techs.

as the hourly techs got to be about 75% efficient, we would offer them the oppertuinity to go on a f/r pay scale. most of the good ones went for it.
so i wonder if paying the best workers by the sq ft would increse your bottom line.
and to chang the subject a little.... that most excellent f/r tech i spoke of, had the crappest tool box i ever saw. the skinny guy would put on biggest jerzy, tucked in a little & ride his dirt bike to work looking like a fat man cause he stoped at the drive-in to pick up emptys for a free lunch. so i guess there are many ways to fine tune your day.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

mabe i need to clarify that $85. crack price is if iam adding it to a coating est. if i drove there just to do cracks only, it would be more. iam a coater so i want the coating job, if i get it, filling SOME cracks fits in smothly with the prep work.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

sp, your welcome.