Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

wright stander does not restart after it runs for a while

I have a wright stander with a Kawasaki engine. It will start cold with no problem and it runs with no problem. But if I turn off and go to restart it will not start. Will not start even with ether. It turns over like normal just will not start. Ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen this happen on a few different Kawasakis. Replaced both coils and problem went away. You may also want to check your plug boots for corrosion.

Q
Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have this same problem with my snapper pro kawasaki fx600v. Doesnt happen all the time. Bought it used with 10 hrs and now have 39hrs. For the last few months I have just been cutting everything and loading on trailer before it is shut off. Has always been stored indoors to my knowledge.

It still gets spark but a few people have mentioned it needs a stronger spark when under compression. Was gonna buy an adjustable inline spark tester before I bought 2 coils at $59each. But I should probably buy the coils so when it does happen again I can swap them out real fast after testing.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, It sounds like a coil starting to go. Get an inline spark tester and test it when it is hot and not starting.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same issue once in a while but my stander has 1600hrs on it. I do the same leave it running until it's back on my trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Update for the thread starter. I posted a couple posts above. Mine was missing really bad when cold the other day. Yesterday it barely started and was idling at maybe 700 rpm even when at full throttle for over a min.(It did the same thing last month when I went out of town with it but was fine the next week). Tested both coils with a spark tester(never tested one before. Tester is a kamikaze job and shocked myself twice) and spark seemed to be cutting out. Changed one coil and ran better. Put in two new plugs as it was blowing black smoke and running real rich so I figured it might have fouled them. Old ones were black when removed. Installed second coil and it now sounds like a slight miss at idle. At half throttle and above it sounds like a rev limiter and black smoke pours out of the exhaust.

Gonna bring it to a shop today as now I cant even use it.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonny9 View Post
Update for the thread starter. I posted a couple posts above. Mine was missing really bad when cold the other day. Yesterday it barely started and was idling at maybe 700 rpm even when at full throttle for over a min.(It did the same thing last month when I went out of town with it but was fine the next week). Tested both coils with a spark tester(never tested one before. Tester is a kamikaze job and shocked myself twice) and spark seemed to be cutting out. Changed one coil and ran better. Put in two new plugs as it was blowing black smoke and running real rich so I figured it might have fouled them. Old ones were black when removed. Installed second coil and it now sounds like a slight miss at idle. At half throttle and above it sounds like a rev limiter and black smoke pours out of the exhaust.

Gonna bring it to a shop today as now I cant even use it.
Ouch stonny with that little hours on the machine please say it's covered under warranty??????
Posted via Mobile Device