Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Seems I will be able to test the rainbird model I questioned for free, from our JDL supplier. NICE! as mentioned, its better overall to not drastically overwater the entire lawn like happens to me all the time.

OH, and I do take control of the watering, but they still leave it on during wet periods. rain sensor or not, they let it water when the ground is still quite wet after the sensor has dried up and allowed operation again. so that problem still exists. plus, some go on vacation for months and no one is around to get to the indoor controller........I can only do so much, and do reprogram from time to time when I have chances, believe me.

Also, I believe you can further tune in to multiple areas of the lawn, by using more sensors.....but I would have to read more on that.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I have one that I was given as a sample but never installed it. It's a buyout from a company called Acclima who manufactures an entire line of controllers based on the same sensor technology. From what I have read they are supposed to be pretty accurate and fairly reliable. I would think though that you would need several sensors on a typical landscape just to get an accurate representation of all of the different microclimates.

http://acclima.com/wd/
Another form of TDR technology.

Sometimes I'm totally amazed at how much I have actually learned since joining lawnsite. For me it was a good choice and great opportunity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=grassman177;4976372]I agree. Seems I will be able to test the rainbird model I questioned for free, from our JDL supplier. NICE! as mentioned, its better overall to not drastically overwater the entire lawn like happens to me all the time.

OH, and I do take control of the watering, but they still leave it on during wet periods. rain sensor or not, they let it water when the ground is still quite wet after the sensor has dried up and allowed operation again. so that problem still exists. plus, some go on vacation for months and no one is around to get to the indoor controller........I can only do so much, and do reprogram from time to time when I have chances, believe me.

Also, I believe you can further tune in to multiple areas of the lawn, by using more sensors.....but I would have to read more on that.[/QUOTE

If the controller is in the garage volunteer to install a wireless keypad to open the garage door, they're only about $25. If the control is inside the house move it outside.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that sounds nice but not going to happen realistically, esp since we are talking hundreds of systems. most wont spend any additional money, not even to improve upon performance from ill designed systems. tons of them here, the overwhelming majority in fact. this being said, they have a bitter taste in their mouths from spending money on watering that does not do it well at all yet alone further spending of money. its too bad, that all the new construction is getting cheap crap of systems that ruin most folks taste of irrigation.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most sensors don't quite have the wherewithal to function in an odd-even-days watering scenario, where you'd like to keep watering times more or less unaltered, but kick the next watering day down the line.