Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For Annapolis, MD I'm guessing around mid March but if you ask Al Gore he'll probably tell you to start on December 21st because of global warming.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

30-45 days before I cut my own lawn for the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-19-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
30-45 days before I cut my own lawn for the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Half way there.

Need to go another 30 days to be at the beginning of February for the first round of advertising to sell spring clean ups for March so the lawns will be ready to mow in April.

Then a second round in the beginning of March to get those that did not bite for the spring clean up to sell them mowing for April.

Advertising needs to be done through out the year.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HaHa... It is an inconvenient truth that you need to advertise early!!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My target area is my own neighborhood. Around 1000 homes anywhere from 200-300k pricing. Last 2 years I have been here I have got 1 copier paper black and white flyer in my mail box and a magnet on my mail box. No LCOs really advertise here but I see around 10-15 trucks a week cutting grass. What are they doing to get the business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
My target area is my own neighborhood. Around 1000 homes anywhere from 200-300k pricing. Last 2 years I have been here I have got 1 copier paper black and white flyer in my mail box and a magnet on my mail box. No LCOs really advertise here but I see around 10-15 trucks a week cutting grass. What are they doing to get the business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Find other ways to advertise. Once you get busy you will not have the time to put out flyers. So start finding new ways now.

Your target area is too small.

Is it better to travel father to fill in your schedule or sit home needing more business?

Many new people get sucked into the veterans brag: I got work for 10 hours a day all within a 1/4 mile radius of my house.

No one starts with a full schedule with all of their customers in a tight radius. It takes time to get a full schedule. Then time to tighten that route up as one customer that is picked up close and one farther away is dropped to make room for the close one.

And a LCO that manages that way will find it hard to expand to a second truck. To me better to be in 2 towns and build up the route then eventually break the one route into to separate routes. 1 for each town.

If you went the way of getting rid of all of the customers in the far town. Once your route is full and you want to start in the second town to expand your business you will not be able to get your old customers that you dropped back. Thus you will be having to do double the work to get customers in that area.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Find other ways to advertise. Once you get busy you will not have the time to put out flyers. So start finding new ways now.

Your target area is too small.

Is it better to travel father to fill in your schedule or sit home needing more business?

Many new people get sucked into the veterans brag: I got work for 10 hours a day all within a 1/4 mile radius of my house.

No one starts with a full schedule with all of their customers in a tight radius. It takes time to get a full schedule. Then time to tighten that route up as one customer that is picked up close and one farther away is dropped to make room for the close one.

And a LCO that manages that way will find it hard to expand to a second truck. To me better to be in 2 towns and build up the route then eventually break the one route into to separate routes. 1 for each town.

If you went the way of getting rid of all of the customers in the far town. Once your route is full and you want to start in the second town to expand your business you will not be able to get your old customers that you dropped back. Thus you will be having to do double the work to get customers in that area.
Not looking to get huge and expand. I am jet engine mechanic with a good job. I like cutting lawns and landscaping on the side.
Posted via Mobile Device