Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2006, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ok all jokes aside heres my take.

first:get the license and cover your @ss ever been to court? i hope you never have to.

second:when u get that license go get a company created in your name,even if you have 10 yards,you can write things off unlike now thats where the CPA comes in.put some money back into your pocket dude.

as for your equipment...you don't need much more..you have an S10 cheap on gas and will pull a trailer...backpack blower,trimmer,edger,basic mower which u have to do smaller lawns and in backyards that are hard to get into,and invest in a decent walk behind say a 36'' to do the larger area to get it done quicker.a 48 might be too big to start if you need it buy one down the road.keep your overhead low and profits high
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Earlier in the week I talked to a couple people in my neighborhood and told them that if they knew anyone that wanted there lawn done by someone to let me know. They asked me how much I'd charge and I said $30. One of the guys that I talked to said that he does his yard himself for exercise but he said he'd keep me in mind in case he wants his yard done by someone else for any reason due to going on vacation or whatever. The other guy I talked to said that he might have me do his yard for him starting next year. Right now I'm just trying to get lawns to do any way I can. I posted a flyer at the local grocery store and at a local bar, they have a bulletin board to post stuff. Me and my parents know the owners of the bar. My parents talked to a lady and she might have me do her yard and she knows someone else that might want there yard done. If anyone else has any tips on how to get more lawns let me know. I'm trying.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$30!!!! Come on kid that's too high for you, an unlicensed, uninsured, non-professional, dedicated lowballer! Get that price on down to about $15 and you;ll get those yards!

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

MMLawn, first of all I'm going on 21 in july. I may be nonprofessional but I know what the heck I'm doing. I'm not just some kid with a mower. I am very good at what I do. You should see my yard. I take care of it for my parents and its one of the nicest yards in the neighborhood, very few weeds and thick. A mow a friend of my parents yard up the street and she came down today to drop something off and she said I do a good job with doing the yard, they are very picky. I may be unlicensed and uninsured but I aint stupid, when it comes to yard work I know what I'm doing. A neighbor of mine used to be in the yard business(he's in his 50s now) and he told me earlier in the week that he worked with someone and they had 30 yards that they did and they never had a license. They did it on the side, apart from there regular job. Next year I will get my license though.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

By the way, my neighbor that was in the lawn business was in it for quite a few years. They had a scag and a exmark, both were walk behind mowers and they had a trailer. I just thought that I would mention that.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

In my area every township you do business in wants money. There are 3 townships that merge right in my area. gets real expensive doing business. most guys here don't get the license as the fine is the cost of a license.