Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We drain out backflows too here in NC, no blowouts here, thats Richmond va and above.

Five busted back flows so far, people have to learn the hard way!

I have a very small handful of people i just can't convince to spend the 95 to drain!

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have been on a mission to acquire all of our customers email addresses for two reasons; billing and service notices.

We send out email blasts in October stating we will be coming to there area between week X and Y so all they have to do is reply back to confirm the service. We will follow up with two notices on November.

This ends up being a huge relief for us along with allowing us to maintain our position of "We did contact you twice and you never replied". We archive all out going emails so when they say "We never got an email" we send copies and then explain in the end it is up to YOU the customer to contact us for service.

They still argue and complain which is the perfect time to get rid of them if we decide they are not worth dealing with.

I agree with several of the other posters, it does amaze me how people either forget or feel they could say on average $100.00 taking the chance on a mild winter.

Our warranty basically states that if during the original warranty period the system is not winterized by US the warranty is void. Today it was 8 degrees with the wind chill and a customer called with her RP busted. When I pulled her history I found we got the same call last year in January and we installed a new RP assembly this past spring. She spend $700.00 last year and its going to cost her about the same again.

I take no joy when some of these folks call, but I feel we go beyond what most do or what I feel is our responsibility.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a good install allows for nobody-home winterizing, even with an indoor shut-off valve still open. The question is, even with all the necessaries in place for that kind of service, would you do the work and send an invoice, even if customer contact hadn't been made?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I think a good install allows for nobody-home winterizing, even with an indoor shut-off valve still open. The question is, even with all the necessaries in place for that kind of service, would you do the work and send an invoice, even if customer contact hadn't been made?
Depends on the customer. lAST YR I WAS DOING ONE AND LOOKED ACROSS THE STREET AT A CUSTOMERS HOME. I KNEW HE WOULD WANT IT DONE AND I KNEW HE DOSNT LOCK HIS HOUSE. Knocked on door, opened it , said hello. No one answered , went into basement , shut water off and did it.
Would not do that at just any customer.