Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Member

It's interesting to read about my question on questions to ask the clients. Geographics really play a big part in how we communicate with out customers. In the north it seems rude or intrusive to enjoy conversation with clients, but in the south around my area, which is small & rural it would be rude not to speak and enjoy conversation with them. That said, I don't want to hang out all day and get to be best friends. And please I don't want to start a civil war between North & South, it is what it is.
The original question I posted asked about finding out birthdays and anniversaries. This I also struggle with because of so much identity theft these days. People are always being warned about this, that or the other on how someone wants to rip them off and I agree, after retiring from over 31 years of law enforcement, I have seen it all. So I think, at least starting out, I will enjoy a smile and good conversation. If a birthdate happens to be mentioned, I will make a mental note and respond with just sending a card wishing my very valued client a happy birthday, anniversary, etc.
Thanks for all who responded. Civil conversation with people without a badge on my chest is a fairly new experience for me and your input is valued.
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
2001 Nissan Frontier (I hope to update in 2015 to a Ford F250
16' trailer (nothing fancy)
Old 03-28-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Play it safe w/ an X~Mas card and seasonal updates. Your customers will receive regular friendly hello's as well as worthwhile mindful info that may/could pertain to their gardens/flowers/etc...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings