Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For Cool Season turf pros and cons of putting down fert now vs later in the season?

And if the application Co. put down the proper Fall application as per the Turf research extensions and universities...? Why now...?

A number of my clients skipped out on the Fall fert due to cost factor. Same for Fall aerations. For some reason people here want to jump ship on their lawns in the Fall. This has always puzzled me...seems they just loose interest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's something...

http://www.american-lawns.com/states/wi.html

* "Care must be taken when fertilizing Wisconsin lawns. Because of its northern climate, soil temperatures play a critical role in when to fertilize. Weeds such as the perennial dandelion, creeping Charlie, violet and thistle begin to root long before bluegrass. This means if fertilizer is put down too early in the spring, the only plants that will benefit are weeds! Hold off fertilizing until around Memorial Day when soil temperatures usually have reached the 60 degree mark which is when grass has started growing." *
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Great point Smallaxe. Funny You're mentioning this. I'm going to be fertilizing my dad's lawn this next week, with fast release, to intentionally get the weeds popping so I can get in there and spot spray a hot mixture of roundup to kill off rampant wild violet and other undesirable weeds and grasses that need to get killed off before over seeding.

Application markers from the big companies are popping up all over mainly from the big application companies. TG, Senske and a few others. A few smaller locally owned Ap Companies are also doing the same thing but not to the same level.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is an excellent calender that give wise advice on just about every aspect of cool-season lawncare from the Horticultural Dept of the WI-Extension Office...
It gives reasons in brief along with the instruction...

http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/wiscon...-care-calender
Old 03-21-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Great point Smallaxe. Funny You're mentioning this. I'm going to be fertilizing my dad's lawn this next week, with fast release, to intentionally get the weeds popping so I can get in there and spot spray a hot mixture of roundup to kill off rampant wild violet and other undesirable weeds and grasses that need to get killed off before over seeding.

Application markers from the big companies are popping up all over mainly from the big application companies. TG, Senske and a few others. A few smaller locally owned Ap Companies are also doing the same thing but not to the same level.
Posted via Mobile Device
I always hit the broadleaf in the Fall,,, as that is when they are actively sucking in food for storage so they really end up taking in a lot of 'cide... I expect to see a lot of dead creeping charlie when the snow goes away...

That sounds like a pretty risky game of whether the grass is dormant enough to not take in roundup...
I'm curious as to what will happen,to your grasses... let us know...
We're expecting to hear back from someone doing that with dormant Bermuda, but never with a cool-season lawn...