Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

BR550 fan noise

This fall when I used my BR550, i noticed the fan was a bit noisy on start up. The noise is more like a whine similar to a car with a bad power steering pump. I can't really hear the noise when using the blower at full power, only at idle and its more pronounced with its cold. Once the blower is warmed up after using it for a bit, the noise is not there. Other than the fan noise it starts and runs fine. Is the crankshaft bearing on its way out or could it be fan related? I bought the unit new in 2005 and it has maybe 250 hours on it.
Stihl MS250
Stihl KM110
Cub Cadet GT3235
Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

it might be your fan clutch
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It might be the fan clutch... WTF??? What's next a bad muffler bearing???

I have noticed that some of the BR's DO make more of a "whine" the colder they are, and as you said as it warms up the "whine" becomes less or is gone... No cause that I have seen, but my theory is that the plastic impeller is more ridgid until warm and creates the change in sound.

The easy way to tell if it is a crank bearing would be to pull the spark plug out and then pull the engine over. You should NOT hear any sound from the crank bearings. If you hear a "whine" or a "grinding" sound when pulling over by hand, then a bearing is starting to check out...

If NO noise is heard from the crank bearing, I would consider it normal and continue to run it!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Ahh crap I didn't mean fan clutch I meant crank bearing. That's what happens when your looking for truck parts and on LS at the same time lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

muffler bearing HEHE. This reminds me of the time I was low on halogen fluid in the headlights on my car.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I don't hear any grinding or whinning noise cranking it over. It starts fine and runs fine. It never made that noise until this fall when the temps dropped below 40. This year I decided to use it to blow snow when we get an inch or two of the powder stuff and I noticed the noise more now than in the fall which is why I was concerned. I store my blower in my warm basement and it still made the whine noise when I started it. However it was gone once the engine was up to operating temp so maybe the cold weather has something to do with it. Its a 9 year old machine so I'll just keep using it until it dies.
Stihl MS250
Stihl KM110
Cub Cadet GT3235