Register free!

Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here we see thinning which started shortly after I dug into the roots to have a look...

This continues to grow and be mowed as well... the main purpose of this experiment was to determine the formation of soil structure as the grass grew and the soil slowly dried out...
There was a bit of standing water among the rocks at the bottom of the jar and the soil is drying VERY slowly as one might expect in a jar...

This is plain old garden soil and seems to be becoming more granular all the time...
When the grass uses up all the water, once I get it outside, we should see a lot better structure than the mud I stuck in there...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This plug is still one solid mass of tiny roots...
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is what it still looks like after being 'mowed' to 1.5 inch height...
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A Better Photo:
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I took apart my glass jar to get a look at the soil structure in real life... it was put in as mud and allowed to sit without additional water(Except just before my trip South) until this past weekend...
The camera did not capture the structure at all but that long slow drying period left some excellently structured soil behind, from what started as anaerobic mud...
When we start with anaerobic mud and keep it wet, we'll always have anaerobic mud... here is a typical grass plant taken out of the glass pot when I shovelled out the top 6" of dirt to have a look...

The root itself is 3.5 inches long and it grew that deep just while the jar was drying out...
Germination began : on an earlier page...
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Germination was recorded in the forum by 2-7-13 and by 3-29-13 it had grown a 3.5 inch root in a jar,,, through a window,,, in a Wisco winter...
imagine what could be done with a well managed turf outdoors,,, in the Spring...