Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
newguy123 newguy123 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,046
I was active Duty Air Force for 6 years. My flight was sent to Jordan for Operation Iraqi Freedom/Enduring Freedom. We got over there early January 2003. My career field was in Fuels Support so we saw all the planes come through; 24/7. The Air Force moves cargo like no other. You would be surprised how quick we built 3 bases over seas. Each base had 5-7K + people. We opened and closed 3 bases in less than 180 days. From nothing...to all those people there...to nothing again. I know the Air Force gets a lot of crap for not working; I have yet to find this as true. I have been stationed (both stateside and overseas) with every branch of the military, plus other countries militaries; and the Air Force has always put in the most hours; hard hours.

None the less; my hat goes off to the ground troops; Army and Marines; they literally bite the bullet for the rest of us. We had a period of time where we worked 40 days straight. Not one day off; normal days, 12-14 hours; sometimes more. But; looking back I think that was better than being shot at.

Even though we went overseas in 2003; these were bare base operations; no hardened shelters. We slept in tents; showered in tents; etc...everything. No Starbucks, fast food...none of the fun stuff. For fun we played PS2 on a little laptop screen my buddy had. 12 guys huddling around a little screen...lol.

That was the first base. The second base was even worse. It was primarily an Army base...so the Air Force was the step children. But what the Army has is KBR (Kelly Brown Root.) They cooked, etc. for the Army. Great food. We only got 2 hot meals a day; but they were awesome meals. Cordon bleu, steak. Was really awesome. But; I think the Army/Marines/Ground troops deserve that stuff.

Anyways; long rant.

But the American hero discount is a good thing...kind of wish it was more than just 18%...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM
GONO2 GONO2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southside VA
Posts: 27
When I started looking at a new ZTR this year, I started with my local Toro dealer. I was looking at the 2000 and 3000 series. I went home after looking at them and checked the website. I found the 18% American Hero program and thought it was meant to be. Next day, I went back to the dealer to price mowers.

I have been a volunteer fire fighter for over 30 years. I was a little distraught when the local dealer told me the program was for paid fire fighters only (and of course police and military). I went home and sent an email to Toro customer service. I wanted to know if my dealer was confused, or if this was truly the case. A few days went by and I got an email from Toro stating that the dealer was incorrect. Volunteer fire fighters were eligible to participate, I only needed to show my IAFF ID to qualify. Since I am a volunteer, I am not eligible to be an IAFF member. The IAFF (International Association of Firefighters) forbids volunteering in the firefighting business. I then replied to Toro with another email referring them to ARTICLE XV - MISCONDUCT AND PENALTIES, Item E of the IAFF bylaws and asked how I could possibly show my IAFF ID. I got another email from Toro telling me to get a letter from my department or something and to take a copy of the email to my dealer and I could get the discount.

Long story short, I ordered a JD Z930M last week. What a turnoff to have to go through the above. Iím not knocking paid fireman nor unions. Toro just needs to get their story straight on who can and who canít participate. I was so turned off by the above, I walked away completely. My local Toro dealer was not the issue, they have a very good reputation.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONO2 View Post
When I started looking at a new ZTR this year, I started with my local Toro dealer. I was looking at the 2000 and 3000 series. I went home after looking at them and checked the website. I found the 18% American Hero program and thought it was meant to be. Next day, I went back to the dealer to price mowers.

I have been a volunteer fire fighter for over 30 years. I was a little distraught when the local dealer told me the program was for paid fire fighters only (and of course police and military). I went home and sent an email to Toro customer service. I wanted to know if my dealer was confused, or if this was truly the case. A few days went by and I got an email from Toro stating that the dealer was incorrect. Volunteer fire fighters were eligible to participate, I only needed to show my IAFF ID to qualify. Since I am a volunteer, I am not eligible to be an IAFF member. The IAFF (International Association of Firefighters) forbids volunteering in the firefighting business. I then replied to Toro with another email referring them to ARTICLE XV - MISCONDUCT AND PENALTIES, Item E of the IAFF bylaws and asked how I could possibly show my IAFF ID. I got another email from Toro telling me to get a letter from my department or something and to take a copy of the email to my dealer and I could get the discount.

Long story short, I ordered a JD Z930M last week. What a turnoff to have to go through the above. Iím not knocking paid fireman nor unions. Toro just needs to get their story straight on who can and who canít participate. I was so turned off by the above, I walked away completely. My local Toro dealer was not the issue, they have a very good reputation.
Well I think the question is how hard did your local dealer work for YOU by calling the mfg himself to push through your discount, instead of just waving you off "you don't qualify, you aren't good enough"

I think this is exactly my point.

WHY would toro do this?
Wouldn't the other NON qualifying customers get a little pissed?

This is like me trying to sell dixie choppers in Alabama and saying "20% off for yankees! no rednecks need apply"

IF my shop didn't get burned down over night, Id surely go out of business before the end of the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 AM
GONO2 GONO2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Southside VA
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Well I think the question is how hard did your local dealer work for YOU by calling the mfg himself to push through your discount, instead of just waving you off "you don't qualify, you aren't good enough"
They had already questioned their Toro Rep multiple times regarding the discount and volunteers. That's why I took my issue direct to Toro myself.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Power Guy Power Guy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shallotte, NC
Posts: 53
It was a wash for me. It is 18% off of the MRSP. I took the Amercan Heroes discount over the $500 rebate because it ended up being fifty dollars cheaper than the dealers normal price minus the rebate.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
baileylawnservice's Avatar
baileylawnservice baileylawnservice is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tulsa OK
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Ramey View Post
Well this argument about who deserves a discount for their service will never be resolved. All I can say is thank you to Toro for offering it. I would also like to say thank you to our armed service members.
Did you read my post about the "discount"?
__________________
Bailey Lawn Service of Tulsa
61" turf tiger with kohler efi
36" scag v-ride
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Guy View Post
It was a wash for me. It is 18% off of the MRSP. I took the Amercan Heroes discount over the $500 rebate because it ended up being fifty dollars cheaper than the dealers normal price minus the rebate.

seriously? only $50?
kudos to the dealer tho.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Hawkshot99 Hawkshot99 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 680
These type of deals only work if a company has their mowers regularly sell for near retail. Many manufactures create sky high retails, then severely mark them down as a normal selling price. Makes the customer feel they are getting a "deal".
__________________
Exmark Viking 48"
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Guy Power Guy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shallotte, NC
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
seriously? only $50?
kudos to the dealer tho.
Yep only $50, I was surprised. Dealer price is adjusted for seasonal discounts. I tried to get them to give me the rebate also but they couldn't combine them. Yes, kudos to the dealer. Worked with them in the past, good service and good deals. I guess they figure it's a good business model for repeat customers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.08876 seconds with 9 queries