Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravenrace View Post
Why that instead of a Walker or an equivalent Exmark? Also, when looking at used commercial mowers, and with the understanding that maintenance and condition also matter, what kind of hours are considered to be too many?
You've already answered half of the Walker question. They are difficult to find on the used market and you don't want to spring for new. For me, there is another downside to the Walker and that is that they are S-l-ooooooo-w.

I bought a 250 hour Grasshopper 725K2, 62" with dump from seat grass collector last year for $6,000. I had to do a small amount of work on it, but it is now basically like new. It is fast, maneuverable, works great on hills and leaves behind a BEAUTIFUL cut.

As mentioned by an early poster, a diesel or liquid cooled gas would be ideal, but I couldn't find one within my budget.

I have no experience with the Ex-Mark so I can't comment.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on what you come up with.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Well I've had many years of practice, so I guess I'm a lost cause! But I'll tell you that when I demo'd a Walker I was immediately able to mow in a staighter line than I could with the zero turn I had been using for many years. That, and demo'ing other zero turns lead me to believe that zero turns were not as stable on bumpy terrain. That's just been my experience.
I expect that it is because it is a front mount. My Grasshopper also works much better on rough terrain than my previous ZTR's which were all mid mounts.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will try out the machines you mentioned if I can. One thing I haven't heard about is their grass catching performance. My Ransomes has a pretty good grass catcher with a dumping hopper, but uses a hose from the blower to the hopper that can clog pretty easily. I need something that clogs less easily and I also need a dumping hopper. My old back can't take lifting bags out and dumping them manually.
The Grasshopper and Walker both have blowers rather than relying on the momentum of discharge to get the grass up the chute. You can't cut tall, heavy, wet grass with it and keep the hose clear, but if you keep it cut, you will have no or very minimal trouble.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Today I demo'd both a Ferris is3100Z and an Exmark Lazar with a suspension seat. The Ferris had the 36hp Vanguard engine and 61" cut and the Exmark had a 30hp Kawasaki and a 60" cut offset deck. I liked the offset deck for trimming around my numerous pine trees, but preferred the the Ferris in pretty much every other way. The ride was better, the engine was very impressive, and it had better grip in wet conditions and on hills, although neither machine was able to handle one hill on my property.
I think a front mount would work better on my property, but my back says the full suspension on the Ferris is what it needs. I'm not sure, but I can't find any front mount machine that has a full suspension. Is this correct?
No, the Ferris is the only suspension mower I know of, but with a front mount, the suspension is not as necessary due to the up and down pivot of the front mount deck. Have you demo'd a front mount? For your needs, both for the lawn and for the body, I would recommend that you demo a Grasshopper or Walker front mount. I think the comfort for you will be somewhere between the Ferris and the rigid mid mounts.

Hope this helps.