Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-19-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Well lets back up here.

It costs me more money to pay my guys cash than it does to pay them with a paycheck. This is because I then have to pay the tax on that money, instead of being able to expense the money.

So how do you know for sure he is paying under the table? What actual proof do you have? I looked at the wording in your post and it appears to me you're speculating. And if he is - I wouldn't worry about it, it's his problem in the long run.

In the Hardscape industry, this is nothing new. This guy will go away and someone else will pop up. 17.5 years ago I got into hardscaping, I've seen more people come and go than you would ever realize. Nearly all of them lasting only 3-5 years.

Let him focus on cut throat rates. And you focus on perfecting quality and perfecting a compelling sales presentation. You are taking a photo album with you on your sales presentations, right? And in this album you do have pics of the process and you explain why you do what you do and what can happen if you don't, right? And you have pics of completed jobs with no bare soil in the pics right? Intact, you have 2 photo albums like I do, right? Yes, I said "albums". Not a computer screen. Albums. Full of pics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellent advice right here!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll probably take a few ideas from each of you and proceed accordingly.

Funny coincidence, while grocery shopping yesterday I turn the corner to frozen foods, an am face to face with him (his family also). I didn't bother even acknowledging him, neither the time nor place.

I am an exception, though, when it comes to the legal side of things. My younger brother is an attorney a few towns over, when he sees any signs of customers trying to mess around, he is more than happy to draft letters, etc. He saw me start th business with a little rusted Ford Ranger and a snowmobile trailer, and knows how hard I've worked at this, and even worked for me while in law school, so he takes it personally too.

The only drawback is that he is a know it ll little s==t and I have to listen to him with the "i told ya so's" at every Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner. Better than paying a lawyer, but brutal in it's own right. I'll usually just bring a load of mulch and trim an mulch his place in return, so it works out.

To answer our earlier question DVS, all you have to do in upstate NY is pay a $20 or so fee for a DBA at the county clerk's office, and you're a contractor. Not counting getting your FEIN etc. There are no licensing or certification requirements. Makes it easy for these type of guys to blow in, make a mess, and blow out.
And like you said, they always do.