Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

green doc. Very nice. I have a question for ya. Have you ever sprayed MSM on zoysia and had any growth results after you sprayed? thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Lots of work. I envy the guys on the continent. Cool season grasses are less demanding. I am also still mowing 2-3 times a month in December-March. Then from April-November it is every 7 days. Sorry, I am not twice a month like the other lawn people in Hawaii.
Very little to desire locally here. Little to no moisture, terrible growing condtions and endless pools of labor. If there is anything more fertile than hawaiian soils haven't found it naturally in the rockies without having to create it.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
green doc. Very nice. I have a question for ya. Have you ever sprayed MSM on zoysia and had any growth results after you sprayed? thanks
Sure have. MSM is only applied 2 weeks after a liquid fertilizer application. If applied to an unfertilized lawn, I will see rather dramatic yellowing and stunting.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-07-2014, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That is El Toro. On Emerald zoysia, you want a very heavy mower that does not allow the reel to pivot up. The Greensmaster rides on a heavy aluminum drum with a steel core in the back. No floating on thicker grasses.
I never detached it and did so this spring, had a mountain of clippings/thatch come out, I cut it down to 1/4 before I did it, I think it can still use more but will see how it goes, I am going to keep it at 1/2" this year and see how that goes I was keeping it at 7/8" which was to high.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People in Hawaii keep their Emerald as low as 1/4". Those lawns never need dethatching. Those lawns are also not watered much, if at all and are not fertilized. Grass looks like it is almost dead, but it is not. I have come to really dislike most varieties of zoysia. Only way to make them look good is lots of water and fertilizer. Doing that gives you a thatch problem unless you mow really low very often.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738