Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameson
My top guy gets $18.50 per hr, got a $2000.00 bonus last year and gets a weeks paid vacation ( I also purchased his season pass for snow-boarding this past year). The other 2 knuckle heads make $14.50 per hr each.

There are a few LCO's around here who think I am cheap...I dunno?
THATS ABOUT THE RATE AROUND HERE
Old 05-21-2006, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of complaining about the trouble finding good people, do you think it is a result of the hourly pay? I mean, I cannot imagine busting my hump for $8/hour. You can make that flipping burgers, checking people in at a hotel or about 8 million other "easy" jobs.

If you assume you are working 50 hour weeks every week of the year at $8, you make $20K, pre-tax. Is that really the going rate for people?
Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawg88
Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of complaining about the trouble finding good people, do you think it is a result of the hourly pay? I mean, I cannot imagine busting my hump for $8/hour. You can make that flipping burgers, checking people in at a hotel or about 8 million other "easy" jobs.

If you assume you are working 50 hour weeks every week of the year at $8, you make $20K, pre-tax. Is that really the going rate for people?
My question is, my salary as the president of my company being $12k / year, what kind of miracles exactly do these people expect ?!
I could pay myself more, but I don't. For one I refuse to slave like in the real world, I refuse to do a lot of stuff because if I didn't, I might as well go back to work for someone else. That's how it is for me, a thousand bucks a month.

So how much / hour did you want?
Oh I get it, more than what I get paid.
Yeah, ok... Maybe some of these Lco owners get paid tons of cash, but I don't.

So how anyone can afford to pay their employees 10 - 15 / hour for grass-cutting, that is what I don't get.
Unless they don't mind getting paid less because they get to sit in the a/c while their guys slave... ? I dunno, ok ...
I won't argue too much about 8-10 / hour, it's high from my side of things but fine, whatever.

Now if you can earn more money elsewhere, then why are you here?

Last edited by topsites; 05-21-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say so (even though its about $10 bucks here) its unskilled labour. $18 bucks an hour? ferget about it, unless he's production manger over 10 employees or something. Good training and a weeks experience and a good guy can can cut lawns like a pro. well at least with a push mower. It's unskilled labour, hell I hire staff from tempory help places all the time. I have to pay 13.25 and hour but they only get minimum wage and they love working with me because they get to some REALLY crap jobs. And some ppl like outdoor work better. I'm one, I've always worked outdoors cleaning windows, snow removal and now lawns.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Same old tired story, same as the what do you charge for mowing, mulching, cleanup, etc. threads.

Different regions of the country will dictate what is a fair wage and what is not. I can easily see the larger metro areas, with higher cost of living paying more than the rural lower cost of living areas.
I use the statewide workforce development group website here to check what other employers in green industry fields pay. This site has job listings for people to apply for and the wage paid. Lawn maintenance jobs around here range anywhere from $7.25 per hour to $8.50 per hour, no bennies.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men. :Cool Hand Luke (1967)
Old 05-21-2006, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
So how much / hour did you want?
Oh I get it, more than what I get paid.
Yeah, ok... Maybe some of these Lco owners get paid tons of cash, but I don't. Now if you can earn more money elsewhere, then why are you here?
I am actually not in the business, just an interested onlooker, with many friends, and friends of friends, in the landscaping industry. I am here because 1) I find the information invaluable and 2) I find this to be one of the best, friendliest and most helpful message boards on the Internet.

But back to the topic, I asked because the friends I know make VERY good money doing landscaping, so that is why I was curious about the pay. Perhaps the hourly wages here are significantly higher than other parts of the country. Anyway, didn't mean to rustle any feathers, just wanted to raise the question to see if pay is commiserate with quality...