Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-09-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sometimes i have them bring lunch but i will never pack my own lunch so if im on site ill pick up a pizza or sandwich for everyone. Plenty of places within 5 mins on long island though

I skimmed through but didnt see anything specific, i want to know how you store all your small tools in the side boxes. I know how the big one is set up from jarod. Im putting my truck in the shop in a week or two for some fab work and want to optimize every inch of space on it
Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Speaking of lunches. Where do they typically eat when its really cold? Most of my guys don't mind bringing their lunch, but when it starts getting really cold they want to go sit somewhere.

Picture Perfect Landscapes
http://www.pictureperfectlandscapes.com
Old 12-10-2014, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow. Nice work!

Eagan Minnesota Lawn Care
Old 12-11-2014, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We simply have power tools (blower, saw etc) tarps, straps on the driver side and hand tools (rakes, shovels.....) on the passenger side. The key is they are 24" square boxes and 72" long. Plenty big for a BR600 and shovels to fit in.

If it's cold outside the guys will crank the truck and turn on the heat. I'm okay with that but don't drive. You can't drive to a restaurant, order, get it, eat, relax and drive back to the job in 30 minutes ready to work. Besides insurance, I don't want trucks in parking lots with Escalades and BMW's or even a Honda and get hit accidentally. Not to mention you may as well throw away a gallon of fuel at say $3.50 multiplied by say 240 days = $840, for just one truck. This doesn't even count inefficiency and loss of time. You can easily end up paying $2,000 a year for that one truck to go get lunch. We averaged 8 crews this year..........that's $16,000.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I posted this in one of the forums but thought I would add it here.....

We have grown to about 25 trucks, lots of mowers & blowers, Bobcats, sod cutter, aerators.......just a lot of various equipment and "stuff". The challenge is tracking everything and we're in search of a software to do just that. Things such as oil changes but also to keep a log of repairs made so we can see what we are spending on each piece of equipment for easily.

Is there a particular software anyone is using that they are happy with? Feedback? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TThomass- i dont have as much equipment as you but the best way ive found after talking to a few larger companies that has worked well me is just simple spreadsheets for each piece of equipment(i do all my stihl stuff in 1 sheet). Each truck has its own sheet, trailers, mowers, skids and anything else. There pretty simple has Date, description of what was done, Price/cost, who did the work either a employee name or whoever did the work and also the miles/hours if the machine has a meter or is a truck. Kinda crude but it keeps track of everything i need. Then if i need the info i can look it up or print out the whole spread sheet.

For my hand helds this was a little more my own system. I think i have around 40 pieces of stihl equipment each has a number 1-40. That spread sheet just hasan extra column for the machine number. If i need to search when the last filter was changed on unit 9 i just search 9 in the first column and i can see everything done to unit 9. We also have a column at the end to label the type of machine trimmer hedge trimmer chain saw and such and if we want to find all the trimmers we can search that column too.

its a pretty simple way to keep track of things, dont have to train any of the guys on software, most people can use excell now a days.