Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

spraying off the deck

I am close to pulling the trigger on a used mower on craigslist. Its a Gravely ZT HD and from the pictures/descriptions, seems to be in great condition. Its a decent deal and still has 2 years warranty on the mower (1 year old) The only thing that is scaring me is, in his description, he said he sprays the mower off after every use. This will be my first nice mower purchase so I don't know much about it but I've heard this could be terrible for the mower. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I'd appreciate any feedback you could offer.

thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I did that to my brand new John Deere F525 back in 1995, and it ended up taking out an idler pulley with a sealed bearing. It's best not spray off with water, I am told, just use a blower or compressed air. It might not be a deal breaker though. Considering there is still warranty, it may be worth a chance, but you may end up replacing some idler pulleys, but maybe they will be under warranty.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback. anyone know of anything I should be looking or listening for as far as water damage to the spindles or pulleys?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbend View Post
I am close to pulling the trigger on a used mower on craigslist. Its a Gravely ZT HD and from the pictures/descriptions, seems to be in great condition. Its a decent deal and still has 2 years warranty on the mower (1 year old) The only thing that is scaring me is, in his description, he said he sprays the mower off after every use. This will be my first nice mower purchase so I don't know much about it but I've heard this could be terrible for the mower. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion. I'd appreciate any feedback you could offer.

thanks.

Gravely warranties do NOT TRANSFER only for 1 owner when sold it is null

Gravely Warranty Transfer
Published 01/25/2013 09:51 AM | Updated 07/25/2014 07:34 AM
Is the warranty on my Gravely machine transferrable to a second owner?

The factory warranty is provided to the original owner and is non-transferrable. A complete copy of the Gravely warranty statement for each machine appears in the Owner's Manual. You may also link to these Answers: Commercial Lawn Warranty, Consumer Lawn Warranty and Gravely Chore Warranty Statement to read the warranty statements.
http://gravely.custhelp.com/app/answ...ranty-transfer

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

water shouldn't hurt it. at the dealer lot the brand new mowers sit out in the rain all of the time at most dealers.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
water shouldn't hurt it. at the dealer lot the brand new mowers sit out in the rain all of the time at most dealers.
True but the machines/spindles are cold. Who knows what the guy did. Could of hosed off straight after a mow!

I guess, you could take off the belts and spin the pulleys and listen for dry bearings, squeaks, feel for play etc.
I would also look at the hydro oil (I assume its a hydro) and see if its cloudy or milky. You certainly dont want water in the hydro oil!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude,
Don't worry about it to much. First of all, he is probably saying that in the ad to act like he took really good care of it. Second, water won't hurt the major things like hydro pumps, motor, wheel motors etc... Pulleys are the least of your worries when buyin used. Just check fluids, tires, seat, battery. Run the motor at idle and full throttle and engage the blades. Drive it around for awhile to make sure you get it hot and see how the hydros act.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Dude,
Don't worry about it to much. First of all, he is probably saying that in the ad to act like he took really good care of it. Second, water won't hurt the major things like hydro pumps, motor, wheel motors etc... Pulleys are the least of your worries when buyin used. Just check fluids, tires, seat, battery. Run the motor at idle and full throttle and engage the blades. Drive it around for awhile to make sure you get it hot and see how the hydros act. Check air filter also. Hours?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Dude,
Don't worry about it to much. First of all, he is probably saying that in the ad to act like he took really good care of it. Second, water won't hurt the major things like hydro pumps, motor, wheel motors etc... Pulleys are the least of your worries when buyin used. Just check fluids, tires, seat, battery. Run the motor at idle and full throttle and engage the blades. Drive it around for awhile to make sure you get it hot and see how the hydros act.
Posted via Mobile Device
good stuff. this makes me feel a little better about it. thanks for the help.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
True but the machines/spindles are cold. Who knows what the guy did. Could of hosed off straight after a mow!

I guess, you could take off the belts and spin the pulleys and listen for dry bearings, squeaks, feel for play etc.
I would also look at the hydro oil (I assume its a hydro) and see if its cloudy or milky. You certainly dont want water in the hydro oil!
yea, he said he washed it with soap and water after every mow. hard to believe that though. he also said he's waxed it twice in the past year. I haven't even waxed my truck in the last few years.