Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
I sure do wish my dad was here to help me, but he passed away less than 3 yrs ago. I just moved to TN from Michigan and have no family here to help me. Thankfully I have a few rental homes in Michigan to help my income situation along with having a respectable income coming in from my internet biz.

You make fun of my Honda Nexite 21", and the fact I work out of the back of my SUV, but I am proud to say I'm not in debt a penny! I refuse to go in debt. That's why I pay cash for everything from lawn mowers, automobiles, to homes/real estate!

May I ask how many clients you have in Spring Hill, TN and how much do you charge for a basic yard under 9,000 sqft? I am truly amazed you get $70 per mow on a job that takes literally less than 30-45 minutes solo using a push mower, and probably 15 minutes solo with a small ZTR that fits through gates. In fact, I actually find it hard to believe when everyone and their brother advertise $25-$35 per job posted all over my area.

Maybe you make $500k per year and can afford to buy accounts, run crews, advertise up the wah-zoo... yet at the end of the year only actually profit $50k in your pocket after actual costs of biz operations. If that is the case, are you really making $70 per mow job? If you only profit 10%, then you really only earning $7 per $70 mow job = 10%. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. Especially when I am profiting over $20-$25 per mow job (average $50/hr)

That is if you truly do service Spring Hill.
Have you done any market research other than scrolling craigslist?

And 50k for 500k gross is about average for an owners take.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Have you done any market research other than scrolling craigslist?

And 50k for 500k gross is about average for an owners take.
Posted via Mobile Device
The dreaded middle zone in this business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I typed up a really long response and then just erased it all. You are not making money. You're working to work you just haven't figured it out yet. If you're charging less than $30 to cut even a small yard, you are not actually making money. You're lying to your self.

At five dollars a cut I'd hire you to mow my yard just so I could watch you slave away for absolutely nothing. I don't care if the only thing you do is literally cut the grass and then leave.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

35 Dollar Lawns

AKA

XLS

AKA

Tommy Clifton

LIVES!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearMonkey View Post
Overpricing yourself out of jobs seems not only hopeless, but a surefire way for immediate failure.

That said, there was a company advertising on Groupon.com for $25 per mow. They also offer $10-off on a mow for every referral they get (no contracts). Competition is tight in my new area.

The only thing I can think of is some people here do not understand the market in other areas of the world.

Completely wrong and the most non-sense I've heard of. Competition is tight in your area? Move down here to Texas near the border if competition is so tight in Tennessee. Pricing yourself low to gain business, you might as well price yourself out of business. I don't believe the problem is the market. I believe your issue is not marketing to the ones that are not worried about cost, and want quality work. If your so up-tight for money start charging $20.00 - $25.00, you'll be sure to attract some customers. Next thing you know, we'll be hearing from you in the "Daily Rants" thread listening to your funny stories about the wrong kind of customers you attracted. A man's going to do what a man wants to do, right? If you feel that's all your worth, ignore the high end customers, drop your prices, and go to working for the "other" group of customers. One thing about business, you don't become a millionaire over-night, and you don't build a "proper" business overnight.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Typical. New guy tells me I don't know what I'm doing. What else is new? When's the next thread like this start ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-24-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it I keep hearing competition is tough here? I don't know if it's some need to get a dose of reality and realize you don't worry about what the next man is doing or what Juan is charging. Who cares! If your so worried about competition, PLEASE, PLEASE come to Texas. I promise you won't have no competition here!

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey!

Tommy Clifton is not new!

He has Walkers from the early 90's...

And some of his trailers are so old, they are falling apart... literally.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

Ok, I think it's safe to assume this discussion has run its course so I'm closing it down for now

Thanks all