Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

1st year as registered business. branding and marketing help/advice. thank you

Hey everyone,

My name is Zach Firestone and this is my first year as a registered LLC and my 2nd year mowing lawns.It is myself and my best friend/business partner. I am looking or advice on marketing and branding. We are both 22.

As of now I have 53 full time lawn accounts. I recently got my truck lettered and am getting my 2nd one lettered next week.

I was hoping you guys could take a look at my website. (mapleridgelawn.com) I made it myself but really think I need to pay a professional to redo it and I need help with SEO. I am in Syracuse, NY if anyone knows of any good companies here to help with this stuff.

I want to spend about 2k on a eddm campaign as well and have a company design a nice postcard

Here is the lettering i got on my truck.

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2014, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Get rid of the partner

Get rid of the partner. You will be better off. Unless he is your partner partner. Then your stuck. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immaculate Landscaping View Post
Get rid of the partner. You will be better off. Unless he is your partner partner. Then your stuck. Good luck!
I have heard too many partner horror stories to want a partner.

What is the property size range and mow price range?

Seems as you have a good start. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A decision to bring in a partner brought down my fathers 25 year landscape company, he still regrets that choice and while he is many states away now I am 20 and about half as big as he is now.
Truck looks great though! I am on my second year, and maintain 50 accts, however I was still working full time last year.
I do no advertising besides my truck and website, and I still manage 5-10 calls a day. If I were you, I would just let your work grow the business.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I am happy with my website but ha e no idea about seo. Can anybody recommend a good way to go about hiring a reputable firm as well as how much I should be looking to spend. I am eager to take on more work.

Thanks,

Zach

Also he is just my business partner and good friend we have a strong working relationship and the same goals for our business. I understand and appreciate your guys concerns about having a partner though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go to website forum. Plenty of people to help down there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

The website isn't bad. I think you need to touch it up a little, but you have the right idea. I agree with everyone else. Partner's sometimes kicks you right in the face down the road. I can't trust any of my friends to partner with me. This is why my two best friend is jobless(also because he's lazy). Yeah, I could give them work, but when you bring a friend into a work environment, majority of the time they'll walk all over you. I gave the guy a few chances to help me off the books with some jobs I couldn't handle alone and he proved to me why even the slightest thought of filing the paperwork to have him on the books and helping me part time was a bad idea. Walked all over me right in front of a customer. I about lost my temper. This is why my girlfriend is now my only helper. She helps me with advertising, Quickbooks, Scanning receipts and Agreements, and printing off schedules. I guess you can call that a partner since she's as dedicated as me about making the business succeed. but my two cents on the partner. Just keep in mind that money will always change people, and to always prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. He may end up being a good idea down the road, but you don't know for sure till your at the road where one of you got the chance to screw over the other one.

As for advertising, It's like I was told. Every area is different. EDDM is a smart route if your planning on mailing a couple thousand flyers out. My advice, don't use envelopes. Go for the ones where they print the address right on the flyer/postcards. People will quickly just toss it out, but if the first thing they see is your flyer, rather then an envelope, they're more likely to look at it first. Look into door to door hanging. I know its a lot of foot work, but maybe you can find a friend or two. Tell them like... $5 a street + 10% commission on new clients(like if the customer signs up for $45 a month, they get 10% off the first month's payment only). Also try craigslist and facebook. I've shockingly got some calls this way.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Graham,

thanks for the feedback, do you have anything specific you think I should change about my website?

Also I would like to do 5,000 EDDM postcards no envelopes and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Zach
Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, my advice on the website. Make a navigation bar. Something that sticks out better. Its a little hard to see the tabs. I can see them, but you have to think about older people when dealing with websites. Is it going to be a little tough for them to read? Are they going to have issues navigating through the site? Also maybe make a distinctive header and footer. Have the header maybe show a picture of yours, and under it have your navigation tabs. Other then that it looks great. Maybe lighten up your text colors a little but other then that your going on the right path with the website.