Register free!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
It isn't rocket science but it's a ton of liability. You need a engineers stamp. If it was a bridge at your house or farm if say go for it but public use you need to cover your butt. 10 years from now when Johnny takes his golf cart off the side and the lawyers come knocking you'll thank me.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why I suggested that he have the course owners provide a letter of indemnification so the Golf Course will have the contractors best interest at heart!.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-07-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Price it The same way you'd price a deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just make sure you know what you are doing. The pre fab idea sounds great. I have played many courses and seen some horrible bridges. Bridges that I am scared to walk on much less ride a cart over. Not to mention the aren't aesthetically pleasing.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your hourly rate? In order to stay in business, you MUST know your operating costs and profit needs. This varies from company to company. Sounds like you need to crunch numbers, estimate how many hours this job will take, and how much profit you need to walk away with. This is Business 101.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz37 View Post
4 replies....4 answers...that didnt answer the question i asked. Im sure you mean well guys, but can anybody give a ballpark answer to the question i actually asked? Like bid 3 times the cost of materials....2.5 times materials....4 times materials?
You're premise is all wrong. It's like asking how much to charge per sq. ft. for a paver patio install or how much to charge per zone for a sprinkler system install or how much to charge per fixture for an night lighting install. There's no magic formula, buddy. You don't bid jobs that way. Every job is unique. Every jobsite is unique. Materials vary from on location to the next, wildly. Prices on lumber vary daily. You cannot just guess what the materials price and labor is. You need to figure out all of the materials, get an accurate price from a local supplier those materials and figure out what the labor is really going to be for this. Then multiply your labor rate by the number of hours you're figuring. Wouldn't hurt at that point to add in an extra 10% or 20% just for incidentals or just in case it takes you longer than you think.

What you're asking for isn't something any of us can tell you. We have no idea exactly what materials would be required, what your labor rate is, how fast or slow you work, what the daily mobilization time will be - or any of that.

A better question would have been, "How long do you think it will take to build a bridge like this from scratch?" and then provide a photo of one that looks similar to what you envision. There are thousands of photos of small bridges like that on Google Image search. But so far, you're going about this all wrong. You're acting like we just all bid jobs by some magic formula like materials x 4. Nobody who is successful in business bids like that. That's a bad way to do business. Not to mention the fact that you seem to be very ungrateful for some of the good advice you've already been given in this thread. So now the guys who really do have the experience and could have been helpful to you are just mocking you or just tuning you out now. Wise up, man!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pricing work isn't something that we can just sum up in a few sentences. It takes most guys even with a solid business instinct, years and years to LEARN and understand.

The pricing questions come up repeatedly on this forum.

I have even mentioned to the moderator that we start what's called individual STICKEY threads, that stays at the top of the forum for frequently asked questions, and I have states that during the winter months I could offer to get the topics started. I participate / refer to a forum for a certain brand of dirt bikes and they have stickeys for questions that arise over and over and over and over.

I have written extensively about how to price work. Please click on my user name and conduct a search on my posts and you'll find oddles of information.

When i think of this bridge, I think of a boardwalk at a beach. More or less a beefy deck is all a boardwalk is.

How are your carpentry skills? If you don't have carpentry skills - then this isn't a job for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz37 View Post
This isnt rocket science for the guys that have done this type of thing before. And the best way for me to learn is to get in there and build it. I wont be subbing it out, i wont be buying a pre fab bridge. I want to learn, but im asking for pricing help. No other help has been requested. Im just sayin'

so its not rocket science, but you have no idea how to price it..??

what happens when a footing washes out and 3 years. maybe some anti scour protection around the footings like rip rap?

Last edited by AintNoFun; 08-10-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we don't know your financial, jonnyz37. Only you know that. My price could be $2200.00, but Jim may need $3500.00 to do it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
we don't know your financial, jonnyz37. Only you know that. My price could be $2200.00, but Jim may need $3500.00 to do it.
You guys make valid points. I submit my proposal Monday.... I'll post how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device