Register free!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lighting Geek View Post
Here is a fountain I did just before Christmas.
Looks good Tommy!
What fixtures did you use and how did you get the wire from the upper tear to the lower?
Fountains can sometimes be a real challenge.
https://www.facebook.com/Lambs-Landscape-and-Lighting
Instagram - LambsLandscapeandLighting
Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Mondragon A piece of advice that I was given many years ago and now repeat often to others: If you want an object (tree, etc) to look one dimensional, use one fixture. Two dimensional, use two fixtures, Three dimensional, use more. Imagine the effect if each of those pines was cross lit in the front and then back lit as well. Not only would they pop, but the shadows on the fence would be really cool. Intensity of each light source could be reduced, hot spots would be softened and eliminated and the overall effect would be more 'natural'. Of course budgets are always a consideration, but this is where you have to learn how to sell the sizzle rather than focusing on the steak. Break the project up into zones or phases to make it achievable to the client. In the long run, everybody wins.
Thanks for the advise James I'm going to take it and run with it. You worded it well. Budget was a factor! I planned with them for future additions to the front of the house and more for the back as well. We had a large budget but large trees were a must for them so lighting took a hit. We'll be adding the front about 6months from now and redo the front landscape as well. They're a great customer, we do their maintenance and so far they're really happy and are impressed. They even thought of sending me to their farm and see what we can do ever there.
Thanks again James, just two more questions for you and everyone here. One, how long have y'all been lighting bc all of the work I see on here Is spectacular. Two, I'm trying to retrofit my system at my home and was looking at the vista LEDs but their prices are out there, what others do y'all like? I looked at Halcos but have yet to pull the trigger on them.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon Lawn Serv View Post
Thanks again James, just two more questions for you and everyone here. One, how long have y'all been lighting bc all of the work I see on here Is spectacular. Two, I'm trying to retrofit my system at my home and was looking at the vista LEDs but their prices are out there, what others do y'all like? I looked at Halcos but have yet to pull the trigger on them.
I opened INTEGRA on Feb 25th, 1999... almost 16 years ago now. Before that I had a couple of summer's experience in landscape lighting, working for my father-in-law.

I have been 100% Vista LED MR16s for almost two years now. They are a very reliable, efficient and effective lamp at around the same price point as other top quality products. For miniature LED lamps, I go with Illumicare.

Light On!

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-23-2015, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Looks good Tommy!
What fixtures did you use and how did you get the wire from the upper tear to the lower?
Fountains can sometimes be a real challenge.
I used 4 15711 Kichler, in the bottom, and some 10 watt equivalent led pods I have made for me in the upper bowls. We took that thing apart, drilled holes, and sealed the holes/wire with 35 year silicone. It took 4 big guys to lift it apart. It wasn't easy, but worth it. Not something for a novice because if you don't drill it correctly, the fountain will crack. Used a wet drill with a small bit and lots of patience...😎
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by The Lighting Geek; 01-23-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lighting Geek View Post
I used 4 15711 Kichler, in the bottom, and some 10 watt equivalent led pods I have made for me in the upper bowls. We took that thing apart, drilled holes, and sealed the holes/wire with 35 year silicone. It took 4 big guys to lift it apart. It wasn't easy, but worth it. Not something for a novice because if you don't drill it correctly, the fountain will crack. Used a wet drill with a small bit and lots of patience...😎
Posted via Mobile Device
The results are outstanding, but I have to say that I cringed when you mentioned the use of the 15711's. I installed those on a few dozen jobs since they were first introduced, and I've been on a few dozen call-backs since then. That particular fixture is worthless..... no offense to you though. Your application of the light is very well done.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Christmas Fountain

Fountain looks awesome.