Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I smoked a pack a day for 10+ years. I've now been cig free for 3+ years. I'm now on currently on some expensive e-cigs with high quality e-juice. I only smoke it between jobs point a to point b. Currently winging myself off of it. Can I say one of the best choices I ever made. I feel like a completely new person, less time wasted, no more nasty smell, no more coughing, and no more nasty ashes! I can simply agree being an ex-smoker, smoking them things all day waste productivity by a long shot, whether someone argues to that or not, unless you simply don't smoke at all at work or during the day.
A regular smoker who can't smoke while at work? No chance! Not happenin.

I dip tobacco while working. There's no chance I could not do it while I was working. I'd kill somebody.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Sponsor

^^ I am fine with smoking, as long as they only do it in the trucks, window cracked and cleanup after themselves. If I get any call that a customer sees them tossing a butt on the lawn I will ban smoking entirely, make or break rule.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Not to be rude, I'm speaking from my own opinion. But I think you are missing something. I think your missing the old traditional ways many of us were taught in school and living by the new modern generation ways. Or at least that's my view on it anyway. You mention wages, benefits, etc. Which is now taught it seems like in schools. Get the best education you can, get the best job, make the most money, live big. Some of us weren't taught that way. I still remember my teachers in little school telling me, when you grow up finding a career you enjoy is more important than finding a job that pays the most wages. Now days it seems like schools and kids learn the opposite. It's more about the high paying job. I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure many others here would agree. We don't do this because we have to. I enjoy Lawns. I enjoy learning about them. I enjoy studying soils, grasses, soil science, agriculture, etc. I'm not now in this field because I need to, but because I want to. I love waking up, drinking my coffee, loading the equipment, I love being outdoors, breathing fresh air and smelling fresh cut grass all day, I enjoy the sunny days, I enjoy the rainy days with cool air, I enjoy pleasing customers, I enjoy everything I do now days. If you're looking for the benefits, 401k, health insurance, and $500k a year, then maybe you shouldn't be looking at the lawn care field or on the lawnsite, and rather attending a college for 8 years, earning a PHD, studying hard, and getting through school. You mentioned there are so many other places to work. Let's say manufacturing facilities as you mentioned. One of my relatives has been working factories since she, yes I said she, was a teenager. Did I mention 10+ factories, bouncing around from lay-offs, to companies going out of business from one to the next? I guess that's what she enjoys. I couldn't see my self enjoying learning new routines, new co-workers, and bouncing around from factory or factory all my life. But that's what she enjoys. This is what I enjoy. This is what many of us here enjoy, hence the people you are speaking too are spending our free time on LAWNSITE, after working 6 or 7 day weeks. Not because we need to be on LAWNSITE, but probably because many of us love our field. Your post kind of contradicts itself. You states you HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A JOB, then you stated there are many other places to work. If there are many other places to work, why have you been looking for a job still? Anyway, that's just my 2c, but to make things short and sweet, I love everything about making customers happy, working in lawns, being out doors, and doing what I do. I would do what I do for $15.00 an hour if I had too, before I'd sit inside on a computer all day for $20.000 an hour. Why? Because money doesn't buy happiness in my life, but career satisfaction makes me happy to wake up every day, that's for dang sure.

I have to disagree with you on this one as far as earning a high salary.

I truly enjoy this work, however I enjoy making lots and lots of money more so because living off the wages of being in the field, can barely raise a family (not that I have one), and if you are raising a family, it definitely won't be as luxurious as say an owner whose company earns 7+ figures in revenue.
The reason I started my company was because I enjoyed the work, that's why most of us started in the first place!

To say that if one is looking for a $500k salary, 401k, benefits, etc. to not be in the lawn/landscape/snow industry is ludicrous. There is basically no limit to how much money you can make when you think of doing this work as a business not a job/hobby. Business is business whether you're manufacturing, doing services, retail, etc. "People, product, process" in no particular order applies to all businesses.

I can't even count how many times I've had to reference it on this site but have you ever heard of the list of the top 100 highest revenue lawn/landscape companies? That'd basically shut anyone down to saying that making millions of dollars can't happen in this industry.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

15 of the top 100 are in my market lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
I always think in the back of my mind that working for someone would be so much easier, less risk etc.. but then I also think about what happens when they decide to sell? Or don't manage it well and go out of business? A guy could waste several years with a company and then be left out in the cold.
Don't forget the write off bennies. When you work for someone else you are buying.
truck
truck ins
fuel
wife's fuel
phone
internet
dry cleaning ( for some)
computers
cell phones
and a boatload of other stuff
all with money you paid taxes on.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
15 of the top 100 are in my market lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you're in a very competitive market. Thankfully there's only one company based in my area that is on the list. But there are probably close to 5-6 among the list that are in my market.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Sounds like you're in a very competitive market. Thankfully there's only one company based in my area that is on the list. But there are probably close to 5-6 among the list that are in my market.
Not really to be honest. They're mostly all commercial. You know how everyone on here believes there is no money in commercial lol. One company does design build residential.

I worked for one that does 5 million a year on less than 40 accounts. With some residential hard scaping. I have a friend that only does 80 weekly accounts and employees 4 people. They just started hard scaping this year

Brickman headquarters is about 30 minutes from me.

There's more than enough work to go around for everyone regardless of what people believe.
Posted via Mobile Device