Register free!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Member

License for solo operator

I am a solo operator. In PA, it says I have to be employed by a pesticide application business to be certified. I know this sounds clear, but how then could any self-employed person become licensed? Is there any loopholes to this rule?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm in Tx so this is just my input based on how it is here. In Tx, a business can register with the TDA without having a licensed person and then hire someone with a license. Maybe you can do the same in Pa, register your business first and then get your license through that.

The best answer though, is to call your state licensing agency and ask them.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
I'm in Tx so this is just my input based on how it is here. In Tx, a business can register with the TDA without having a licensed person and then hire someone with a license. Maybe you can do the same in Pa, register your business first and then get your license through that.

The best answer though, is to call your state licensing agency and ask them.
I know some states make you work under a licensed person/company for a certain amount of time before you can test and get licensed.

Here in Texas you have to work under someone for two years before you can get your structural license.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In Michigan your solo operation would need to obtain a PABL (pesticide application business license). That entity would then need a certified pesticide applicator to do or oversee the work. If PA is like MI, the same person needs 2 different sets of papers, basically. My personal credentials are good for 3 years, business license has to be renewed every year. Hope this helps as it is confusing.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call the PA Dept of Ag, they can easily get you on track. And yes you can get your license as a solo operator in PA.

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/p...spx?palid=113&
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Here in Texas you have to work under someone for two years before you can get your structural license.
This is true but they will allow 2 years with a TDA license to be used to meet that requirement to get the TSPCL if you've had no complaints. It's sort of a loophole that allows someone that is self-employed to get into Structural applications without having to go to work for someone else or get an Associates Degree if they can prove they can do the work without screwing up.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is probably the same as maryland. Here you either have to work for somebody that is licensed for a year OR you can take certain classes at a local college and then take your license tests and get it that way.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just read the business needs on the PA Dept of Ag site again.

Yes you need to be employed by a licensed company, your own company.

Simply apply for a business license for your own company, you just need proof of insurance to spray pesticides to get the business license I believe. It is not expensive at all for solo operator. I was in the same situation in 1998, hardly anything has changed in this regard in PA.

Get your own sole proprietorship a license through the dept of Ag, then get your PA license and your are good to go.

I will say it again, call them, they are very helpful.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
This is true but they will allow 2 years with a TDA license to be used to meet that requirement to get the TSPCL if you've had no complaints. It's sort of a loophole that allows someone that is self-employed to get into Structural applications without having to go to work for someone else or get an Associates Degree if they can prove they can do the work without screwing up.
Sent you a PM