Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Herler, your absolutley right. I need a solution for nutsedge. I didnt know the proper name for it, and the only thing that i've ever heard it called was a vulgar name. So when I saw the box to treat the weed, I took a pic and posted what I thought was the name. I should have slowed down and read the the box. Lol.

So with all that said, my mower leaves trails of uncut nutsedge behind when I cut. Ill slow down and sometimes recut, but is there a better blade that will help me to improve time without sacraficing quality?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Stan, no matter how much I think I know, I always take time to listen to others. I appreciate your advice and taking the time to share you knowledge. As far as experience, I need improvement and im learning everyday.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Avery View Post
Stan, no matter how much I think I know, I always take time to listen to others. I appreciate your advice and taking the time to share you knowledge. As far as experience, I need improvement and im learning everyday.
Hey Curtis, I'm exactly the same. I've been mowing grass for over 50 yrs and I still learn things on a regular basis.

I just try to be careful not to hurt anyone's feelings. We're all human and we all get our feelings hurt from time to time!
Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Thats a long time. Id imagine you've learned a few tricks by now. lol. In you opinion, what mower do you recommend as far as the ZTR's go?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Avery View Post
Thats a long time. Id imagine you've learned a few tricks by now. lol. In you opinion, what mower do you recommend as far as the ZTR's go?
Hey Curtis, everybody's got there favorite brand for their own personal reasons. Most commercial mowers have similar features, but also vary quite a bit in certain areas.

My choice (in '09) for a fully commercial Z was a Bad Boy Lightning. It's the model that was replaced by the Outlaw. The Lightning is different from the Outlaw in several ways that I prefer (having both a manual and electric deck lift is one of the features that I prefer over the Outlaw) but as I said, people have their own reasons for buying the mower they have, just the same as car/truck owners.

My Lightning has a 60" deck and a 26hp liquid cooled engine. I've made quite a few improvements on it and I couldn't be happier with it.

One thing to keep in mind when buying is how good the dealer service is on the brand you buy.

Good luck and enjoy the "hunt"!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still having the same problem. Worried a bit about losing clients since two good ones came out to complain this week. Need to solve this. I almost think it's happening on lawns where they over water (too much, too often) and the soil is soft. It's ripping up 6-8" patches. I greased up the wheels good, but think I narrowed it down to the large back ones causing the problem.

Ford F150 XL Truck 1998
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

It defiantly makes divots in the clients yards. Some more than others. Other than that, I like the mower. But i need to find a solution to the problem. Whether it's a new tire or a new machine. It's a matter of time before I start loosing business from it. I've tried several different approaches to turning with little luck. I'll finish this season with the husquvarna, buy I may change to a different mower for next season.
Posted via Mobile Device