Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2014, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Bought my 6x10 from Tractor Supply in Georgetown with the wood floors - $999. brand new.
Did it have the blower box and four foot walls?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

.... I'm also considering a fully enclosed trailer.. I'll have to store my trailer somewhere besides my house due to our HOA and figured I could keep some equipment in it if I had a fully enclosed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Good fortune coming!
A minor partner of mine has a neighbor who manages vacation/weekend rentals. He's in charge of 150+ properties. He's given me two right away and is making me his primary referral! These houses need to have constant curb appeal, so they want the finer, more detailed, look..... Right up my bag! This could be an instant gold mine!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawLawnCare View Post
Did it have the blower box and four foot walls?
Posted via Mobile Device

Doesn't have a blower box and doesn't have foot walls. I have temp. foot walls for when I need to haul mulch, soil, compost, etc. I just throw the foot walls in. As far as a blower box, I don't have a blower box, I use locking trimmer and blower racks. Much cheaper then having a box made. If you really insist, for the price you could pick up a brand new 6x10 at Trailer Supply, have a metal fab shop build you a box, and you can put on the foot walls permanently or temp. ones and still be cheaper then the $1,700.00. Then you have a brand new trailer with brand new tires and so forth.

I hope everything works out with you for the Vacation properties. If you plan on jumping into 150 properties you better have some full time help ready to roll, because I can assure you you can't do 150 by yourself. No matter how fast you are, I can ASSURE you that can't be accomplished by yourself and probably not with one helper unless you find a DANG GOOD ONE.

I hope you have plenty of extra cash flow put away in the bank and are not investing your savings into this venture, especially being that you quit your job. Honestly, I wouldn't have quit until I had enough cash coming in to live off from landscaping/lawns. Not to sound negative, I believe you can make it just as much as you believe yourself, but if you've did your homework on the lawn care business or read any business statistical information before you quit your career, 9 and every 10 lawn businesses that start up every year don't make it past the second year. Another guy two streets over from me bought a Turf Tiger and mowed all Spring and now the summer time is here and he just got finished selling his Turf Tiger and lost a great deal on it in a matter of three months when going out of business. I don't know what your plans are, but there's nothing wrong with starting small. Many of us started out small. I didn't upgrade from a push mower until I hit 20+ properties. Then better yet, I then upgraded to a 30" push mower. Then if things don't work out, your not going to lose as much as you would on the re-sell. Another thing to think about, why do you insist on spending 5k on a zero turn with no properties or set amount of accounts for it to pay itself off? Another thing to consider, are you also purchasing a walk behind? If so what size? I have a 36" that's a true exact 36" and I can fit a lot of gates and the other half I'm bumping on picket to picket. Chances are that 550xt isn't going to fit in many back gates. Are you prepared to push mow the back lawns bigger then .25-.50 acres or you planning to turn them down? And lastly, are you saving money for a back up machine and do you know how to work on machines? New or old, you're going to have equipment break downs. Reason I tell you this, when I got started, I wasn't prepared for this. Had a brand new commercial mower broke down before I even hit 50 hours, and my smaller machine broke down several times. I can tell you when your getting started, getting a ton of business, have 10-15 lawns lined up for a day, then a break down occurs, it can be one of the most stressful things that ever happens, especially if you don't have a backup. Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to hear exactly where your at so you can be prepared. If anything, a small engine mechanic school would be a very wise investment if you don't know how to repair yourself.

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Doesn't have a blower box and doesn't have foot walls. I have temp. foot walls for when I need to haul mulch, soil, compost, etc. I just throw the foot walls in. As far as a blower box, I don't have a blower box, I use locking trimmer and blower racks. Much cheaper then having a box made. If you really insist, for the price you could pick up a brand new 6x10 at Trailer Supply, have a metal fab shop build you a box, and you can put on the foot walls permanently or temp. ones and still be cheaper then the $1,700.00. Then you have a brand new trailer with brand new tires and so forth.

I hope everything works out with you for the Vacation properties. If you plan on jumping into 150 properties you better have some full time help ready to roll, because I can assure you you can't do 150 by yourself. No matter how fast you are, I can ASSURE you that can't be accomplished by yourself and probably not with one helper unless you find a DANG GOOD ONE.

I hope you have plenty of extra cash flow put away in the bank and are not investing your savings into this venture, especially being that you quit your job. Honestly, I wouldn't have quit until I had enough cash coming in to live off from landscaping/lawns. Not to sound negative, I believe you can make it just as much as you believe yourself, but if you've did your homework on the lawn care business or read any business statistical information before you quit your career, 9 and every 10 lawn businesses that start up every year don't make it past the second year. Another guy two streets over from me bought a Turf Tiger and mowed all Spring and now the summer time is here and he just got finished selling his Turf Tiger and lost a great deal on it in a matter of three months when going out of business. I don't know what your plans are, but there's nothing wrong with starting small. Many of us started out small. I didn't upgrade from a push mower until I hit 20+ properties. Then better yet, I then upgraded to a 30" push mower. Then if things don't work out, your not going to lose as much as you would on the re-sell. Another thing to think about, why do you insist on spending 5k on a zero turn with no properties or set amount of accounts for it to pay itself off? Another thing to consider, are you also purchasing a walk behind? If so what size? I have a 36" that's a true exact 36" and I can fit a lot of gates and the other half I'm bumping on picket to picket. Chances are that 550xt isn't going to fit in many back gates. Are you prepared to push mow the back lawns bigger then .25-.50 acres or you planning to turn them down? And lastly, are you saving money for a back up machine and do you know how to work on machines? New or old, you're going to have equipment break downs. Reason I tell you this, when I got started, I wasn't prepared for this. Had a brand new commercial mower broke down before I even hit 50 hours, and my smaller machine broke down several times. I can tell you when your getting started, getting a ton of business, have 10-15 lawns lined up for a day, then a break down occurs, it can be one of the most stressful things that ever happens, especially if you don't have a backup. Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to hear exactly where your at so you can be prepared. If anything, a small engine mechanic school would be a very wise investment if you don't know how to repair yourself.
The thing is, I have 6+ months worth of income put away. The money I'm planing to spend on a zero turn and trailer isn't part of that money. I'm also debt free. Everything is paid off. No house payment or truck payment. I believe these houses won't come all at once nor do I have to do any more than I'm able. I wouldn't be committing to all 150, I'm just the primary person being recommended to the property owners. I have right at 20 weekly accounts already and a full time employee. I'm turning down a lot of time consuming installations, trying to focus on middle to high end lawn maintenance. I also am buying a cub cadet that is "like new" for $700, to have as a back up. I also take two of everything else with me to have back ups as well. I'll try to always have plenty of business money at hand for emergencies. I'm 43 and I've owned businesses before, not landscaping mind you, but successful all the same. I've been planning on doing this for 20 years. I just pulled the trigger. Of course nothing will be perfect. I just hope for the best with plans for the worst. So far, so good.
Right now I'm mowing 20 plus yards a week, with two days set aside for things other than mowing. It's myself and my Guatemalan friend. I take with me, two Honda commercial mowers, two shindaiwa trimmers, an echo edger, echo hedge trimmer, echo backpack blower and an echo hand held blower with me to each job. I do have two bi-weekly properties with 2+ rocky acres each. I've been pushing them already. It's fast, thanks to my friends getting the word out, but I'm trying to be smart.

Last edited by SouthpawLawnCare; 06-14-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawLawnCare View Post
The thing is, I have 6+ months worth of income put away. The money I'm planing to spend on a zero turn and trailer isn't part of that money. I'm also debt free. Everything is paid off. No house payment or truck payment. I believe these houses won't come all at once nor do I have to do any more than I'm able. I wouldn't be committing to all 150, I'm just the primary person being recommended to the property owners. I have right at 20 weekly accounts already and a full time employee. I'm turning down a lot of time consuming installations, trying to focus on middle to high end lawn maintenance. I also am buying a cub cadet that is "like new" for $700, to have as a back up. I also take two of everything else with me to have back ups as well. I'll try to always have plenty of business money at hand for emergencies. I'm 43 and I've owned businesses before, not landscaping mind you, but successful all the same. I've been planning on doing this for 20 years. I just pulled the trigger. Of course nothing will be perfect. I just hope for the best with plans for the worst. So far, so good.
Right now I'm mowing 20 plus yards a week, with two days set aside for things other than mowing. It's myself and my Guatemalan friend. I take with me, two Honda commercial mowers, two shindaiwa trimmers, an echo edger, echo hedge trimmer, echo backpack blower and an echo hand held blower with me to each job. I do have two bi-weekly properties with 2+ rocky acres each. I've been pushing them already. It's fast, thanks to my friends getting the word out, but I'm trying to be smart.

It sounds like you are ready to roll or already rolling. I wasn't down your plan, just trying to question you about some of the things I went through starting up so you didn't have to worry about them situations if they arise. I didn't know you already had 20 accounts, so maybe you can justify a z-turn or bigger mower for that matter. I thought you were starting at ground x with 0 accounts and wanting a zero turn. Best of luck to you and it sounds like you have everything going great, I wish you the best and keep me updated on your progress!

John Deere 997 60" Diesel
Toro Grand-Stand 36"
Stihl Handhelds

Business: Solo Operated
Mechanic: Myself learning day by day.
Parts Supplier: ZeroTurnMan for everything.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks... I've turned down a few jobs due to being too much for me. My goal, for now , is to aim for the high end yards. I like doing that "high detail" kind of work.
Posted via Mobile Device