Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Kohler engine cranking but not starting

I have a Kohler CV15.5 engine that is turning over but will not start up. I removed the fuel lines and fuel filter and ensured I could blow air through them and they are not obstructed. I put the fuel lines back except where connects to carb to ensure fuel is being feed from the tank through the filter and to the carb which it did. I removed the air filter and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb then cranked engine and it fired up and ran till all carb cleaner was gone (1-2 seconds) but will not run off gasoline. I tapped on the carb bowl thinking it could have stuck needle and saw a solenoid on the bottom of the bowl with one wire going to wiring harness (have never dealt with this before). Checked the schmatic and it is a fuel shut-off solenoid if I am looking at it correctly. I also removed the spark plug and it looks brand new so I sprayed a little WD40 in the cylinder and put the plug back in.

It will crank all day but will not fire up. I could not find a reset button on the solenoid if it is stopping flow of gas to the carb.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can you hear the fuel solenoid "click" when you turn the ignition switch to the on position? If not, I'd pull the solenoid and test it to see if it will retract. I have seen a few cases in which the solenoid gets gummed up or debris infiltrates the piston, preventing it from moving.

If this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to clean up/rebuild the carb.

Since the unit will fire on carb/choke cleaner the problem doesn't appear to be an ignition problem.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Can you hear the fuel solenoid "click" when you turn the ignition switch to the on position? If not, I'd pull the solenoid and test it to see if it will retract. I have seen a few cases in which the solenoid gets gummed up or debris infiltrates the piston, preventing it from moving.

If this doesn't solve the problem, it may be necessary to clean up/rebuild the carb.

Since the unit will fire on carb/choke cleaner the problem doesn't appear to be an ignition problem.
Thanks. I will remove the solenoid and inspect. When the solenoid is removed I will connect the lead wire and ground solenoid so I can see if piston moves when key is turned on. I will try to clean with carb cleaner and retest.

If solenoid does not work would it be OK to find threaded bolt and plug the hole to bypass the solenoid if I install an inline fuel shutoff valve?
Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The solenoid is there for a reason--to prevent "run on"/dieseling when the switch is shut off. Installing an inline shut off will shut off the fuel from the fuel line but will still allow the engine to utilize fuel from the carb bowl.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Removed the solenoid and confirmed the plunger was stuck and cleaned it with carb cleaner. Noticed that gas was still not flowing so removed the bowl from the carb and found the float stuck. soaked all parts and now it's working but do I reattach bowl to carb with RTV sealant? I tried to snap it on but gasket is not keeping it held together. Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What's the condition of the bowl gasket? If it's not hard and brittle you can probably get by without replacing it but I would recommend doing so. Even with a new bowl gasket, the bowl may not provide a friction fit sufficient to allow the bowl to remain on the carb body by itself--the fuel solenoid does that job.

No RTV as you risk a piece coming loose inside the bowl thereby causing an unneccessary blockage.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
What's the condition of the bowl gasket? If it's not hard and brittle you can probably get by without replacing it but I would recommend doing so. Even with a new bowl gasket, the bowl may not provide a friction fit sufficient to allow the bowl to remain on the carb body by itself--the fuel solenoid does that job.

No RTV as you risk a piece coming loose inside the bowl thereby causing an unneccessary blockage.
I did not think that the gasket looked bad and I cleaned with carb cleaner when I cleaned the bowl. After cleaning carb (float needle and fuel solenoid were seized) I reassembed and it ran for about 5 minutes till my jump pack battery drained. I left key on and drained battery so that is on charger now.

I noticed a small leak around the fuel bowl so I will replace gasket. When I removed old gasket to clean bowl it had sticky sealant, so I was not sure if that was RTV or some type of factory sealant. I will stay away form sealant and let gasket do its job. I will replace bowl and gasket incase I deformed the bowl when removing.

Carb is the Walbro LMK 12G5394.

I sure do appreciate your guidence Dutch1 to pointing me in correct direction.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where did your leak seem to appear--at the bowl gasket or at the bottom. When disassembling did you notice a small gasket between the bowl and solenoid. If it's leaking out of the bottom of the bowl, you may be missing this gasket.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

It was leaking at the top of the bowl where it meets the bottom of the carb. I went and picked up gasket which was a little thicker and it fixed the leak. I did check the gasket on the bottom of the bowl where the solenoid connects and that was fine. Also replaced the fuel line from the filter to the carb since it looked a little brittle near the carb connection. It appears to be running fine now.

Thanks again.