Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Warner Mag Stop Clutch – Slipping from Tie Down

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. I've learned a ton from you all so far. That being said, I've got a problem. I've got a Husqvarna ZHTK 4818 zero turn mower that's eaten it's second PTO clutch in a row. At $220 a pop, this is a big problem. The first time, the bolt on the clutch tie down came loose and allowed it to spin free and yank the wires from the unit. The second time, I added lockwashers and lock-tite to the bolt/nut to keep it from coming loose. Instead, the tie down bent and allowed the clutch to spin free yanking the wires from the unit again.

I'm about to install my third clutch this week and don't want the same thing to happen. I bought two tie downs this time, thinking I'll drill another hole and secure it in both places. Is there something I'm overlooking? I've never had this happen on this mower before. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like they sold you the wrong clutch...they are directional...
If you install the wrong clutch...the thin bands that attach the clutch drum to the pulley bend and lock up the clutch..
When the clutch locks up it will either stall the engine or rip out the clutch holding bracket..then rip out the wires..
Just a guess...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

The new clutch is identical to the one I removed. Also, I was able to mow for approx. 30 minutes before the clutch broke free. I would think if it was spinning the wrong direction, it would have seized immediately. It seems like such an essential part would be held in place by more than one keeper.

Anything else I could check?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope....I've seen them run for a day before the clutch seized...
Check the sticker on the clutch and see if it is the same as the factory clutch..
They all look alike till you take them apart...lots of dealers buy clutches by the dozen from aftermarket companies and just match up the pulley and shaft size.....not knowing or caring about the rotation...
Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm glad you said that. The whole time, I thought the clutch broke free. But, when I think about it... it squealed and smoked before I shut it off. That sounds like a definite possibility. I'm going to call Warner and get them to double check the compatibility.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

So, I checked with Warner. They say that as long as the numbers match, the rotation is the same. So it appears that's not the culprit. The tech says he thinks the mounting bolt wasn't torqued to spec. He says 55-60 ft/lb erring on the side of too much rather than not enough. I installed using an impact wrench capable of 230 ft/lb. I'm certain it didn't come loose. Anything else I can check? I've got another clutch coming this week.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Take the old clutch apart...see if it smells cooked...or it thr clutch fingers are bent..
Its a little snug but you should be able to turn the pulley by hand...
Get a short length of chain or cable and secure the new clutch with it...
Old 05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEasy View Post
I installed using an impact wrench capable of 230 ft/lb. I'm certain it didn't come loose.
Believe it or not you can burn up/lock up a clutch/bearing by over tightening the mount bolt, Always use a torque wrench and tighten to specs.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

The bearings still spin as they did before I installed, so I don't think over tightening was the issue. However, I will torque to specs when I install the new one. Also, I really like the idea of securing it with a safety chain to prevent it from breaking free and self destructing. I'm still scratching my head as to what happened with the first, but hopefully I'll make none of the mistakes on the second replacement. Thanks for the input gents.

Tags
broken , clutch , pto , replace