Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-14-2015, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here are pics of the boots I mentioned above.

Merrell Moab GoreTex

Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
I go for light weight waterproof hiking boots for mowing/landscaping. Just today I got a new pair of Merrell Moab Gortex boots. Uninsulated, gortex, and vibram soles. $150 to my door from amazon. Dicks sporting goods carries them also, however keep in mind there are 3 versions of this boot. A non waterproof ventilator, a waterproof (which wasnt waterproof for more than 2 months) and the gortex ones which I just got today.

They are very comfortable, very little break in, and never felt like I was slipping in wet grass steep hills, etc.

Go to dicks and try on the waterproof ones to get the size, but if you want the gortex, you will have to order them. I expect the gortex ones to be waterproof longer than the "waterproof" ones I have had for the last year.

I highly recommend a boot like these for mowing/landscaping. I have multiple pair of carolina work boots that have to wear at my other job, and hands down, hiking boots are more comfortable and generally more suitable for this work. If your doing hard scapes, and running equipment, I could see going with a leather safety toe, but for light stuff, hiking boots are the way to go.
Don't know if they still are on sale, but the Merrill Moab hiking boots in Mossy Oak were on sale at Bass Pro Shops for $69.77 recently (SKU 2114921). They are supposed to be waterproof, but don't say Gore-Tex, so they are probably the "other waterproof" version. They run about 1/2 size small. I normally wear a size 9 and the Moabs fit well in a 9.5. I got a pair on sale 3/30/2015.

Vasque Breeze hiking boots are awesome, too. Maybe better than the Merrills, but I haven't worn the Merrills long enough to tell yet. They cost about $120 if you get a really good sale - last over a year worn every day, too.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Here are pics of the boots I mentioned above.

Merrell Moab GoreTex

Yours say Gore-tex, mine say Select Dry, so I must have gotten the ones you had last year. Still, not too bad for $70, plus I had gift cards - ended up paying $12.80!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Hiking shoes are great for basic lawn maintenence. I had the New Balance hiking 965 Absorb waterproof and they were super duper. Hard to find anywhere but online. The comfort and effectiveness of moving on slopes are tough to match with these.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2015, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was at Bass Pro in Bristol, TN over the weekend, they had something similar to those Merrell's they looked pretty good. I still haven't purchased my "seasonal" boots yet. It's been so wet here so far there hasn't been much of a point.

As I've said before my biggest issue is needing hillside traction, especially in damp/wet conditions.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovett View Post
Hiking shoes are great for basic lawn maintenence. I had the New Balance hiking 965 Absorb waterproof and they were super duper. Hard to find anywhere but online. The comfort and effectiveness of moving on slopes are tough to match with these.
Posted via Mobile Device
If Im not mistaken new balance are still American made.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I was at Bass Pro in Bristol, TN over the weekend, they had something similar to those Merrell's they looked pretty good. I still haven't purchased my "seasonal" boots yet. It's been so wet here so far there hasn't been much of a point.

As I've said before my biggest issue is needing hillside traction, especially in damp/wet conditions.
Bass Pro does sell the Merrell boots, but just make sure you know the difference between the non waterproof, waterproof, and goretex. Like I have said, I have never slipped with these boots in wet grass or on steep hillsides. Highly reccomend them for traction and comfort. The "waterproof" ones were ok for a few months, but I am expecting longer term waterproof with the goretex ones.

Having had the "waterproof" boots last year, and the GoreTex ones this year, I have no regrets buying these twice. In fact, I am keeping the old ones just because they are super comfortable and have no damage (stitching coming out, soles peeling off, etc). I highly recomend you try them on, but if waterproof is important to you then order the GoreTex ones once you find your size.

Last edited by TuffTurfLawnCare; 04-16-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old Today, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I have also had the "waterproof" ones tuff turf. They dont last long usually under a month for me. The rest of the shoe holds up but my feet get wet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old Today, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagashpm View Post
I have also had the "waterproof" ones tuff turf. They dont last long usually under a month for me. The rest of the shoe holds up but my feet get wet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ya gotta keep spraying them.
Old Today, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that Gore-tex is one of those things, that, even though it is much more expensive than other waterproof treatments, it's worth it, because the other kinds of waterproofing are kind of hit or miss.
They used to make waterproof, breathable boot liners that might be helpful if you already have the boots and they are leaking. I think Seal skinz was one brand. Might be worth a try if you already have the boots.