Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Mesquite Grubbing

Howdy YellowDog,
I apologize for the late reply. I've been out on a very remote job with no Internet or cel service. We are located in Quanah, Tx near the junction of the Red river and the southeast corner of the panhandle. We have a grubber designed for cedar as well although we don't use it often.

As for disposal, with farm land, we typically just burn the pile after checking with local authorities as to an effective burn ban. With pasture land, the owner generally does not want the expense of piling and burning. The cattle don't care and it saves him money.

Tracks are an issue. The pulling motion stretches them and substandard tracks don't last long. Camoplast and Bridgestone seem to be the ones we have the most success with. Even with high quality tracks we try to get about 30 hours on a pair before we do any serious grubbing with even medium size trees.

As far as tree size it varies a lot depending on moisture and soil type. For mesquites we can handle some large ones but do have a cut-off point at which an excavator is recommended. On the job I just finished, I was taking down Salt Cedars, Cottonwoods, and even some Elms' 30' and taller. In some cases it's
more about the root system than the trunk diameter or height.

I was unable to upload a video here as my Internet connection is still not great here at the house. You can e-mail me at maychild74@gmail.com and I'll send you a video.