Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seal n lock.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Home View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a try. The big box store stuff lasts one year only.
Techniseal and the other companies all make a variety of different kinds of sealers. It's important to understand the difference. Most varieties of sealers are FILM-FORMING sealers. They create a film over the pavers and the advantage to this is it saves you time and materials. Usually takes just one good coat and you're done. The disadvantage to the film-forming sealers is that film will eventually crack and peel in around 4-5 years. When that happens, you not only have an angry customer, but then you have to totally strip the sealer off first before you can apply a new coat again. Stripping a sealer is a HUGE PITA. We've done it. Not worth it.

We use the Color Boost sealer because it is a PENETRATING SEALER. So the sealer actually goes INTO the paver. It gets absorbed into the pours of concrete and seals it from the inside out. Then in 4-5 years when the seal starts to fade, there is no cracking or peeling. All you have to do is clean and re-apply a coat or two. The disadvantage to this method is it usually takes a few more coats to get the patio totally sealed. That means the initial cost of patio sealing is more, if you use this method. But I find it to be a pretty easy sell. We've sold over $50,000 in sealing just over the last month just from a newsletter we sent out to our paver patio install clients. Our price for sealing wasn't cheap, because we're going with this method. But we landed over 50% of the bids we gave for sealing anyway, despite it costing our customer more to do it this way. We just had to take time and educate the customer on why we do it this way and why it's worth it. Once we did that, they saw the value and were happy to spend the money. And by the way, of the 50% of bids that we lost, most of them said they still want to do it. Just might wait until next year so they can save up a little.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Techniseal. But whatever brand you end up using, I recommend using a PENETRATING sealer, rather than a film-forming one.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, penetrating is definitely what I want, and my local mason supply carries it.