Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

christmas lights timer issues

So I gave been installing lights on residential homes for the past 6 years. We start hanging Oct 1st so we can get everyone up in time for Thanksgiving. In our area everyone wants to be lit up Thanksgiving night or the next day. So every year we struggle to get back to all of our customers over a two to three day period to get everyone lit up. We have tried about everything we can think of to get this done in a better way, but it never fails, we end up taking time off from hanging to get this done. This cost money in time and lost days of hanging. Does anyone know of a better solution or maybe a timer that will automatically start on a certain day and then keep working until Jan 1st, then shut itself off for the season?? I am new to this forum so I want to thank you in advance for your answers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking for the website for the timers we use, i'm away from the office for the weekend. But the timer we use is digital, during install we set it and test it. It has a power off switch, which we set to "off". Then when the client is ready to turn the system on, they simply go out to each timer and hit the switch to on.

These are nice timers they have a rechargeable battery in them so even if power is lost or if they get unplugged they continue to store the program and keep the current time accurately. Our clients are similar, they usually want the lights first on on Thanksgiving or Black friday. Most can turn them on themselves. There are a few we have to turn on for them because the timers are up in the eves for roof lights. For these customers, we go out first thing thanksgiving morning and hit the switch.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

not sure how many clients you have but we are all in the same boat as far as timing the turn on.

We use digital timers.

We set everything at install and the client just plugs the cord into the timer and all set.

No, not all of them are willing to do this "for what they pay us" they feel they should not even have to plug in the cord once a year.

We run around plugging in lights but the crews don't do this unless they are in the neighborhood. We send our service crew, manager and myself out. We have never had a problem with someone not being lit when they wanted to be. But we have a very dense service area.