Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmclands View Post
If you think there is not benefit to running without a guard, I'm assuming you have never tried it or that you don't spend much time with a trimmer in your hand.

I have four 280T's and none of them have a guard, and you can run about 1ft of line on each side on a weekly lawn.

We even use them to trim shrubs and if you didn't know it was done with a string trimmer, you would never know.
Posted via Mobile Device
I trimmed my 280t's guards to allow the string to be longer than intended by Ehco and to the average person they appear to be in place. They cut better/faster than with the full guarding in place. Like you I run it out so I'm taking a 20"+ cut on grass and even for heavy vegetation longer line works better.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I don’t know how it would be any faster with the guard off. I can get within a few inches of trees, fence, etc... with a walk behind so what does it matter if I have 17 inch swath or 22+? I’m not mowing a foot from everything.
Stihl
Husqvarna
Old 07-17-2015, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCowboy View Post
I donít know how it would be any faster with the guard off. I can get within a few inches of trees, fence, etc... with a walk behind so what does it matter if I have 17 inch swath or 22+? Iím not mowing a foot from everything.
Running a ZT on the property's I cut you can't get as close as you could with a WB. Also several of them have area's such as ditches you either have to use a 21" mower or string trimmer to cut.
Using your numbers (17" to 22") there's a 30% increase in cut size which does increase productivity.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I donít know how it would be any faster with the guard off. I can get within a few inches of trees, fence, etc... with a walk behind so what does it matter if I have 17 inch swath or 22+? Iím not mowing a foot from everything.
I did two small back yards today with my weedeater alone....no guard. Both yards were about 100 square feet or maybe a little bigger. I can get my string out to almost 12" on each side plus the 4" head that is just about 28" swath. I always do these two back yards with my trimmer and it looks like it was mowed really short with a reel mower. I couldn't do that with the guard. I don't usually run it out that far but it is nice to when I need it. I can also stick my 4" head in between small opening and trim out spaces that I couldn't with my guard on. I haven't used a guard in so long I can't even remember the last time I did.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Some people like it with the guard and some people like it without the guard. I "accidentally" tried it without the guard back in 1997 and never put the guard back on. At the time I still didn't have full on commercial equipment. I was using Homelite straight shaft trimmers and the guard fell off of one of them one day. I tried to put it back on but it was junk so I tried to trim without the guard. I found that I liked the weight reduction and maneuverability much better. I haven't used a guard since then.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess we all have different needs, I have some diverse properties and I’ve still never had a need for more width. You don’t know till you try. I’ll give it a go and maybe I’ve been missing out for years, any time and efficiency I can gain is worth trying.
Stihl
Husqvarna
Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using the trimmer without the guard for 35 years and the only thing i needed to do is use shin protectors from flying stones or wear long pants.
By fitting a speedfeed head i never had any problems with too much line coming out.
The best thing is less weight at the front end
Old 07-22-2015, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Trimmers are cheap enough that the time saved without the guards pays for itself many many many times over. I have burnt out a clutch before but it doesn't stop me from taking it off.

5 minutes saved at each property is unreal when you look at the day or week or even season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. I've put clutches in myself too. Not that big of a deal. Time is money.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 Dually ton,03Chevy 2500 HD,05 Isuzu NPR, 10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Im going to have to try my little tanaka without the guard. with the guard on I still get covered in grass and pelted with debris lol. I have about 15k square feet to mow and a whole lot of trimming every other week. I generally spend an hour or so with the trimmer and 3 hours+ with my little kubota w5021 walk behind mowing my place. That hour with the trimmer is brutal. ive got about 20+ small citrus trees to trim around and about 600 feet of fenceline to trim.