Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just looked at 2015 F350. 14k GVWR...! I guess it is inevitable that I'll have to go CDL as well as everyone else that wants a new truck and wants to tow anything over 12k trailer. That truck is virtually the same as my 2005 and 2008 yet it's where an F450 was a few years ago.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I just looked at 2015 F350. 14k GVWR...! I guess it is inevitable that I'll have to go CDL as well as everyone else that wants a new truck and wants to tow anything over 12k trailer. That truck is virtually the same as my 2005 and 2008 yet it's where an F450 was a few years ago.
That's not good when I'm planning to pick up two 15k trailers lol. Current truck is 10k gvwr but looking to upgrade next fall

I think they should just make it to where you can tow what your truck allows you too. If you're over weight than it could be a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I'd drive less miles and normal hours, put less wear and tear on the truck and trailer, save a lot of fuel money and time by driving the closest distance between points A and B since there wouldn't be any scales or check points to avoid.
I am glad I am not the only one!! My crap is legal and very well maintained, but I cringe when i see a trooper, here, you might as well count on 2-3 hours if you get a roadside. Really, it is not that complicated to do
Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

So, today I was hauling a 30'x24" culvert on my 20+5 GN. We're legal at 5' overhang if it's flagged. A sheriff pulls me over to measure the overhang. As he's telling me that everything is ok...a truck and farm trailer drive by with six 1,000 lb bales of a alfalfa stacked two high. No tie downs at all. I point it out to the sheriff and he says..."He's probably not going very far." and turns away.

Nice.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
So, today I was hauling a 30'x24" culvert on my 20+5 GN. We're legal at 5' overhang if it's flagged. A sheriff pulls me over to measure the overhang. As he's telling me that everything is ok...a truck and farm trailer drive by with six 1,000 lb bales of a alfalfa stacked two high. No tie downs at all. I point it out to the sheriff and he says..."He's probably not going very far." and turns away.

Nice.
Hey, leave the farmers alone. The extra expense of securing their load and time involved is going to cause them to go under. Ratchet straps are darned expensive.

1,000# bails will not kill anyone, just like a 1,000# unsecured mower or whatever won't kill anyone.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Hey, leave the farmers alone. The extra expense of securing their load and time involved is going to cause them to go under. Ratchet straps are darned expensive.

1,000# bails will not kill anyone, just like a 1,000# unsecured mower or whatever won't kill anyone.
yes but no sales tax at Tractor Supply on that stuff if you are a farmer. They don't even ask for a number. Just ask if it's taxable or not. I pay the tax and yet over half the stuff I buy could be used on the ranch BUT because I try to live by what I preach, I'm dumb enough to pay.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I was coming back from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb several years ago and had just finished waiting in the Goodland, Kansas Dairy Queen drive-thro for 18 minutes for 3 blizzards. Had a 30'ish goosenck hauling round bales pass me while merging back on to I-70. It's 105F. 15 minutes later it's 68 and i'm looking for the tornado with a cow in it. What i do find, almost didn't see, is a 5x6 round bale square in the middle of the interstate with tufts of hay where it had bounced repeatedly. Had one of the other guys call the sheriffs office while i endeavored avoid further hay bale land mines in a frog choker. Almost as exciting as making the mistake of setting up on the Outside of a corner on Pikes Peak.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
I was coming back from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb several years ago and had just finished waiting in the Goodland, Kansas Dairy Queen drive-thro for 18 minutes for 3 blizzards. Had a 30'ish goosenck hauling round bales pass me while merging back on to I-70. It's 105F. 15 minutes later it's 68 and i'm looking for the tornado with a cow in it. What i do find, almost didn't see, is a 5x6 round bale square in the middle of the interstate with tufts of hay where it had bounced repeatedly. Had one of the other guys call the sheriffs office while i endeavored avoid further hay bale land mines in a frog choker. Almost as exciting as making the mistake of setting up on the Outside of a corner on Pikes Peak.
Lemme guess, you want to unduly burden those farmers with securing their loads as well?

Have you seen their expenses? They work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week. And never, ever have money. Or make it.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Lemme guess, you want to unduly burden those farmers with securing their loads as well?

Have you seen their expenses? They work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week. And never, ever have money. Or make it.
Ya know that kind sounds familiar?

But we(contractors) just don't warm the heart like the farmers do...
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Ya know that kind sounds familiar?

But we(contractors) just don't warm the heart like the farmers do...
You're right..."contractors daughter" just doesn't have the same ring to it!