Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 03-24-2014, 06:12 PM
YellowDogSVC's Avatar
YellowDogSVC YellowDogSVC is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,513
I just looked at 2015 F350. 14k GVWR...! I guess it is inevitable that I'll have to go CDL as well as everyone else that wants a new truck and wants to tow anything over 12k trailer. That truck is virtually the same as my 2005 and 2008 yet it's where an F450 was a few years ago.
__________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-24-2014, 10:36 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
I just looked at 2015 F350. 14k GVWR...! I guess it is inevitable that I'll have to go CDL as well as everyone else that wants a new truck and wants to tow anything over 12k trailer. That truck is virtually the same as my 2005 and 2008 yet it's where an F450 was a few years ago.
That's not good when I'm planning to pick up two 15k trailers lol. Current truck is 10k gvwr but looking to upgrade next fall

I think they should just make it to where you can tow what your truck allows you too. If you're over weight than it could be a problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:31 PM
treemover treemover is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: lost in the trees, ks
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I'd drive less miles and normal hours, put less wear and tear on the truck and trailer, save a lot of fuel money and time by driving the closest distance between points A and B since there wouldn't be any scales or check points to avoid.
I am glad I am not the only one!! My crap is legal and very well maintained, but I cringe when i see a trooper, here, you might as well count on 2-3 hours if you get a roadside. Really, it is not that complicated to do
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 PM
JNB Construction JNB Construction is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sanger, Texas
Posts: 248
So, today I was hauling a 30'x24" culvert on my 20+5 GN. We're legal at 5' overhang if it's flagged. A sheriff pulls me over to measure the overhang. As he's telling me that everything is ok...a truck and farm trailer drive by with six 1,000 lb bales of a alfalfa stacked two high. No tie downs at all. I point it out to the sheriff and he says..."He's probably not going very far." and turns away.

Nice.
__________________
"Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
So, today I was hauling a 30'x24" culvert on my 20+5 GN. We're legal at 5' overhang if it's flagged. A sheriff pulls me over to measure the overhang. As he's telling me that everything is ok...a truck and farm trailer drive by with six 1,000 lb bales of a alfalfa stacked two high. No tie downs at all. I point it out to the sheriff and he says..."He's probably not going very far." and turns away.

Nice.
Hey, leave the farmers alone. The extra expense of securing their load and time involved is going to cause them to go under. Ratchet straps are darned expensive.

1,000# bails will not kill anyone, just like a 1,000# unsecured mower or whatever won't kill anyone.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 PM
YellowDogSVC's Avatar
YellowDogSVC YellowDogSVC is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Hey, leave the farmers alone. The extra expense of securing their load and time involved is going to cause them to go under. Ratchet straps are darned expensive.

1,000# bails will not kill anyone, just like a 1,000# unsecured mower or whatever won't kill anyone.
yes but no sales tax at Tractor Supply on that stuff if you are a farmer. They don't even ask for a number. Just ask if it's taxable or not. I pay the tax and yet over half the stuff I buy could be used on the ranch BUT because I try to live by what I preach, I'm dumb enough to pay.
__________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 AM
hvy 1ton's Avatar
hvy 1ton hvy 1ton is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lawrence KS
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Hey, leave the farmers alone. The extra expense of securing their load and time involved is going to cause them to go under. Ratchet straps are darned expensive.

1,000# bails will not kill anyone, just like a 1,000# unsecured mower or whatever won't kill anyone.
I was coming back from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb several years ago and had just finished waiting in the Goodland, Kansas Dairy Queen drive-thro for 18 minutes for 3 blizzards. Had a 30'ish goosenck hauling round bales pass me while merging back on to I-70. It's 105F. 15 minutes later it's 68 and i'm looking for the tornado with a cow in it. What i do find, almost didn't see, is a 5x6 round bale square in the middle of the interstate with tufts of hay where it had bounced repeatedly. Had one of the other guys call the sheriffs office while i endeavored avoid further hay bale land mines in a frog choker. Almost as exciting as making the mistake of setting up on the Outside of a corner on Pikes Peak.
__________________
Life summed up by refrigerator magnets:
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS
OLD RANCHERS NEVER DIE,
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 6,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvy 1ton View Post
I was coming back from the Pikes Peak Hill Climb several years ago and had just finished waiting in the Goodland, Kansas Dairy Queen drive-thro for 18 minutes for 3 blizzards. Had a 30'ish goosenck hauling round bales pass me while merging back on to I-70. It's 105F. 15 minutes later it's 68 and i'm looking for the tornado with a cow in it. What i do find, almost didn't see, is a 5x6 round bale square in the middle of the interstate with tufts of hay where it had bounced repeatedly. Had one of the other guys call the sheriffs office while i endeavored avoid further hay bale land mines in a frog choker. Almost as exciting as making the mistake of setting up on the Outside of a corner on Pikes Peak.
Lemme guess, you want to unduly burden those farmers with securing their loads as well?

Have you seen their expenses? They work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week. And never, ever have money. Or make it.
__________________
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-27-2014, 02:45 PM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Lemme guess, you want to unduly burden those farmers with securing their loads as well?

Have you seen their expenses? They work 26 hours a day, 8 days a week. And never, ever have money. Or make it.
Ya know that kind sounds familiar?

But we(contractors) just don't warm the heart like the farmers do...
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
JNB Construction JNB Construction is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sanger, Texas
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Ya know that kind sounds familiar?

But we(contractors) just don't warm the heart like the farmers do...
You're right..."contractors daughter" just doesn't have the same ring to it!
__________________
"Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.10785 seconds with 9 queries